S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Washing car with soap

Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default Washing car with soap

HAHA!... can't wait for wanabe to give me heck for this. BUT, I am not talking about Dawn or Joy or Sunlight!!!

A coworker and I were talking about washing and detailing.

ME: I wash with a cheaper car wash shampoo, claybar, paint cleaner, Zaino... My paint has depth and is smooth as a baby's bottom....blah blah.

HIM: I wash every weekend with Murphy's Oil Soap, Turtle Wax twice in the year, and it looks awesome.

hehe... anybody use murphy's oil soap in your wash pail???
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

givin you heck right now!!!

not-

its really all personal preference...
mine is to use the best car shampoo that i can find (i look for good sheeting action, good suds and i like a decent smell)-
i dont really want the shampoo to add anything to the paint, cause i will do that with other products.
that said, i have been known to add some liquid waxes to the water when washing my beater cars!! (hey, dont tell anyone!)
Old 03-31-2007, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Murphy's Oil Soap?!?!?! That's crazy.

Personally, I think washing is one of the most overlooked but most important parts of detailing. People spend all kinds of $$$ and time on polishes and waxes and once they get the paint perfect a week later they wash the car with a cheap soap and a crappy old wash mitt. Nothing and I mean nothing will ruin paint faster than poor washing technique or tools.

Personally, I look for car wash soaps that contain no waxes, provide lubricity (to prevent marring), and rinse away freely. Those are my big three. Foam is nice, but it doesn't really do anything.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Former Moderator

I was thinking that adding a small amount of Murphy's to the wash water with your preferred soap or shampoo, may possibly be an added benefit. It may help when rinsing and force the small grit off. Dunno, not sure I would try it but I thought it was something different that we may not have discussed.

I do use this product on my old hardwood floors. It brings out the shine
Old 03-31-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

finally mikeyc sorta disagree about something...
(and it is all opinion, i know)

i like my shampoo to have good foam cause i think that it helps lift dirt off of the paint-

i also know that with good quality wash tools (schmitt for mikeyc, or lambswool for me) most of the grit is held in the wash tool until it is rinsed, and it does not stay on the paint anyway (that is often the argument against needing foam to lift the grit off of the paint.)

but i really wouldnt use murphys on my car- it must have some effect on the wax on the car.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ehhhh...I was never really a believer that soap mattered. I use whatever mid shelf product is on sale (eagle one, meguiars, mothers, whatever)....

I just dont think it's that important. When I do a full detail, I always use dawn anyway, been doing it for years, and had good results.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Mar 31 2007, 12:55 PM
finally mikeyc sorta disagree about something...
(and it is all opinion, i know)

i like my shampoo to have good foam cause i think that it helps lift dirt off of the paint-

i also know that with good quality wash tools (schmitt for mikeyc, or lambswool for me) most of the grit is held in the wash tool until it is rinsed, and it does not stay on the paint anyway (that is often the argument against needing foam to lift the grit off of the paint.)

but i really wouldnt use murphys on my car- it must have some effect on the wax on the car.
Yeah, I just don't think foam really does anything. If you watch the Mike Philips two bucket car wash video he puts the water in the bucket first and then adds the soap. He doesn't make any foam in the bucket at all. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

As far as Murphy's Oil in your wash bucket . . . I tend to shy away from using household products on my car. The conditions a car's finish faces everyday & the requirements for care of that finish are not the same as those of a wood floor or cabinet. So, why not use a product intended for the care of that specific finish?

Plus, I'm not a chemist so I have no idea what effect a product not used in it's intended manner will have.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Former Moderator

The murphy's oil soap is being used on a malibu... enough said
Old 04-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Former Moderator

Go to Target and get the one gallon jug of Meg's Gold Class.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:25 PM

I have officially gone been turned over to the "No-rinse" wash side.

Unless the car is caked with mud, no-rinsing is just so much more relaxed and efficient. (I still do traditional for rims, as I don't care to waste good MF's on rims and wells)

No longer am I running around the car, trying to keep water spots at-bay, nor do I have to wake up at dawn, or feed the mosquitoes at sunset.

I can finally enjoy washing in the height of afternoon, and truely enjoy the beautiful weather. It truly is a time-saver too. Full, wash, dry, spray-waxed, rubber dressed, in 45 minutes; and not a sweat on my face. Wonderful.

Quick Reply: Washing car with soap