S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Wash & Wax Question

Old 12-18-2001, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wash & Wax Question

Ok....I would really like to take care of my new S2000 within a reasonable budget.
I see tons of product recommendations in this forum, but could someone give me a quick care guide?
I've babied cars in the past, but this is a different type of car (convertible) & I used Zymol (which local retailers no longer carry).
Yes, I've washed cars before
And I thought I knew what I was doing...but from the looks of this tread, I am very much the beginner. Heck, I don't even know what a clay bar is used for.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Alan

Ps: Quick possible goofus question:
Is it ok to drive through one of those gas station automatic 'brushless' carwashes if you need an emergency wash (bird, heavy mud,etc)?
Old 12-18-2001, 09:17 AM

Do a search on 'Zaino'... Should be a lot of info to be found. Also www.zainobros.com

-- Aaron
Old 12-18-2001, 10:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Cheetah

Ps: Quick possible goofus question: Is it ok to drive through one of those gas station automatic 'brushless' carwashes if you need an emergency wash (bird, heavy mud,etc)?
NO!
Old 12-18-2001, 10:39 AM

Really, the key is good technique and good towels.

Make sure you get 100% cotton towels (fieldcrest/canon) made in the USA. That's very importanat as a lot of towels say 100% cotton and the nap actually is, but the backing is polyester which will scratch your clearcoat. I recommend Royal Velvets or Charisma's. White of course.

Use towels to wash and dry your car. If you wash with a sponge or polyester mit, you're scratching your clear. I suggest actually using a leaf blower, but you need to make sure your car is slick (freshly waxed, zainoed, etc).

Remember, touch lightly on your car. NO hard rubbing etc.

Of course, I recommend Zaino products for your paint. www.zainobros.com

Take care
Old 12-18-2001, 10:45 AM

Some basics

Use a automobile shampoo

Use two buckets - one with clean water and one with water and shampoo- when you wash your car - use the one with clean water to rinse the mitt before you after you have washed a section.

Clay is to remove surface contaminates - even brand new cars usually have some - feel the top part of your bumpers - if there are contaminates, you can feel the grit.

Use Zaino, Blitz, Blackfire, Klasse, PS21, Zymol, Griots, etc - they are all good and they all have their limitations. I like Zaino myself.

Alot of people think that Zaino is expensive, but about $100 should set you up with everything you need. And you use so little of it, this $100 worth of stuff will last a long time.

Use good quality 100% cotton towels to dry or an absorber (I use both). Synthetics can leave small scratches on the finish.

Check out the forums at http://www.autopia-carport.com - and they have a e-book on car detailing that is free to download.

And never, ever, ever take you car through one of those gas station washes.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:22 PM

I think I'm sold on Zaino from all the recommendations here, but a few quick questions still remain:
1. How's this for a 'Starter Kit' (Z2,Z6,Z7,Z9,Z10,Z18,ZFX)? Sounds good from their website, but am I possibly overdoing it for a new S2k?
2. What is the recommend product for cleaning the wheels? I don't see a 'wheel cleaner' on the Zaino site. I've used the Zymol cleaner before with good results, but as I stated earlier in the thread, my local dealer no longer carries Zymol products.

Thanks again for all the information & tips

Alan
Old 12-21-2001, 03:33 AM

You might want to add Z5 to your list.

I haven't used a cleaner on my wheels. If you wash them on a regular basis, you really don't need anything more than Z7 and water to take care of them
Old 12-21-2001, 06:02 AM

P21S wheel cleaner works very well for me when my alloys get particularly filthy. A good coat of the same wax you use on your body work applied to your wheels makes dust and dirt a lot easier to remove too.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:21 PM

One last question....actually, check is in the mail to Zaino, but here it goes
Griot's Garage wash products?
Good, Bad or just Ugly
Picked up a few of their detailing products (wash,polish,wax) for Christmas and I'm wondering if I should avoid them or if they'd be a nice alternative until the Zaino arrived.
Thanks again for all the advice

Alan
Old 12-28-2001, 06:49 AM

They're good products, but since you already have the Zaino ordered, I would save the Griots for a car that has less than desireable paint. Maybe the wife's daily driver or something

Quick Reply: Wash & Wax Question