S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

To wash a car

Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking To wash a car

I live in a condo in south Florida with a bunch of old retired snowbirds. The condo has a "car wash" place that owners can use to wash their cars. A few weeks ago a guy approach me, he proceeded to tell me that he was on the "complaints board" and had received multiple complaints about me "washing my car everyday" (note, this is a significant overstatement). He informed me that "water isn't free", I needed to find somewhere else to wash my car, threatened to have me fined, and even to have me arrested! Just a typical grumpy old guy on a powertrip I suppose. I appologized to him and told him I would stop washing my car.

After escaping his ruthless attack, I really started to get upset. The condominium association had specifically designated a "car wash area" and it isn't my fault that I'm the only one that makes use of these facilities. I considered putting up a fight but finally decided that I would simply wait until after 11pm to wash my car. The area is well lit, and all the "old people" go to bed by 9 anyway. I'm happy and all the other residents are happy too; although I'm sure they wonder how my car stays so clean.

It's been almost a week since I've washed my car, and this weekend I went to an autocross event. My last run got a little crazy and I killed a few cones, leaving black marks on my bumper. Needless to say, my car was in desperate need of a good washing. I'm sure many of you are aware of the blizzard that the east coast this weekend, well the backside of the front is still passing over south Florida. I patiently waited for 11pm, and headed out to wash my car. I discovered that the temperature was in the high 40's (coldest it's been here all year) and it was raining. I headed back inside, not to give up on the plan, but to get more clothes I opened the closet and noticed my wet suit, SCORE! I put on the wetsuit and headed out to wash the car. About halfway through I started thinking about my current situation, and how I had come to find myself washing my car, in the rain, in a wetsuit, in the middle of the night and decided that I absolutely had to post this story on the W&W forum!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHA in the rain lol, nice story man. Thats dedication..
Old 02-12-2006, 09:10 PM

Good call on avoiding the conflict.. nothing worse than living in a hostile environment. If you get confronted again, ask them what specifically defines abuse of the car wash in the residential deeds and restrictions. Just because some one does not like it does not mean it is a nuissance or abuse of facilities.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:53 PM

You know when you laugh so much that no noise comes out? That was me for about 30 seconds after reading this. Scott you are a true enthusiast. That is a great story.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:59 AM

Scott,

That story was hilarious. I can't believe you were washing your car wearing a wet suit. Too funny!!

I think that guy from the "complaints board" was full of though. I would ask to see where in the by-laws of the association it says you can't wash your car as much as you want. Just because some cranky old lady thinks she pays for the water you use to wash your car doesn't mean they can prevent you from doing it. You shouldn't be driven to wash your car in the dark wearing a wet suit like this.

I know in my association there are rules in the by-laws preventing car repair in driveways, but nothing about car washing. I wash my car all the time and people look at me like I've got a third arm growing out of my back.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:35 AM

I agree with some of the sentiments above. In a community like that there will usually be written by-laws, so that things are in black and white when disputes like this arise. Look through these and see if there are any restrictions that limit the use of this car wash area. If not, then you have every right to use it as much as you want. Well, I should say you have the right to use it as frequently as you want as long as you're not stopping others from using it. I would imagine that in a community like this with older retirees you're not going to find many people who will take advantage of this convenience, though.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that is funny!!

i think it just might be time to move-
pretty amazing that they provide a car wash area and then complain when you use it !
Old 02-13-2006, 12:17 PM

How much younger are you than the "old retired snowbirds"? Did the old guy realize that you live there? When my wife and I were in our late 20's and early 30's, we lived in a place were everyone else was retired and 50+. We ran into similar situations a couple of times where we would get hassled for using facilities because the person assumed we didn't live there or that we were just guests or children of owners, or something besides the dues-paying owners that we were. So, maybe that's what happened here. Otherwise, I guess you just have to chalk it up to a "typical grumpy old guy on a powertrip", like you said.

Funny story, BTW.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by usace,Feb 13 2006, 11:35 AM
I agree with some of the sentiments above. In a community like that there will usually be written by-laws, so that things are in black and white when disputes like this arise. Look through these and see if there are any restrictions that limit the use of this car wash area. If not, then you have every right to use it as much as you want. Well, I should say you have the right to use it as frequently as you want as long as you're not stopping others from using it. I would imagine that in a community like this with older retirees you're not going to find many people who will take advantage of this convenience, though.
in many states the law requires that all condo unit owners are given a copy of the by-laws. So, you probably already have a copy.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

How much younger are you than the "old retired snowbirds"? Did the old guy realize that you live there?
I'm in my early 20's so there's quite an age difference. He does know that I live here, even though I don't "fit in". I think when other residents see me they automatically start looking for reasons to complain. Ironically, I'm always quiet, keep to myself, and never bother other people. I guess washing my car too much was the only thing they could complain about. Oh, I take that back, they did complain when my parents for parked in a "visitor" parking spot when they came down for Thanksgiving (for 2 days). They told my parents that we were only allowed one car per condo, even though they were visiting.

in many states the law requires that all condo unit owners are given a copy of the by-laws. So, you probably already have a copy.
I've got them... somewhere... I seriously doubt there's any limitation as to how much you can wash your car. On average I'd wash it about twice a week, which isn't terribly unreasonable, in my opinion. It's not really worth the fight though, I'm almost finished with grad school and I don't think I'll be here too much longer. I should be getting a place with a garage for my baby. I've always been more inclined to avoid confrontation than to try and fight the system so I'll just keep washing at night.

Quick Reply: To wash a car