S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Vinyl top repair?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl top repair?

I just noticed today a slit in the top of my convertible top. It's about a half an inch long or so. I have no idea what caused it or exactly when it might have occurred.

Is it repairable? If yes, how? who?

My car is three years old.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to get this thread started-
one of our members used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81786-Super...r/dp/B000HBNT1O
Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanabe,Oct 3 2009, 11:46 AM
to get this thread started-
one of our members used this:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81786-Super...r/dp/B000HBNT1O
ive used that same kit, as i have the infamous passenger side tear behind the door window. its definately worth its weight in gold, but ive noticed that after retracting the top several times, the material would stretch a little and the hole would open up again.

it does the job, but be prepared to reapply every so often.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you attempt any repair, I would determine if it is covered under warranty or your dealer will 'good will' the repair.

You don't mention where the tear is but a number of owners have a tear due to improper finish of the soft-top frame.

This thread has the TSB scan and other relevant information. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=701165
Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 AM

I sewed up the area first before I applied the kit. In addition, instead of buying a jean patch from Wal-Mart, I bought a waterproof nylon patch that can be applied without heat on the underside of the top. I used the same sealant to seal the nylon on the edges that was provided in the kit.

The repair worked well, but it still bugged me so right now I went ahead and purchased a hard top that will be installed shortly.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by RUGBY,Oct 5 2009, 09:16 AM
Before you attempt any repair, I would determine if it is covered under warranty or your dealer will 'good will' the repair.

You don't mention where the tear is but a number of owners have a tear due to improper finish of the soft-top frame.

This thread has the TSB scan and other relevant information. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=701165
Thank you for bringing the TSB to my attention!!!

I took my car to the Honda dealer today and asked the service manager to take a look at the slit. I then suggested to him that it was covered by TSB #09-033. He printed out the TSB, read it through and without hesitation agreed that my car was covered. So I'm getting a new convertible top and two new handles! Yay!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by akimel,Oct 5 2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you for bringing the TSB to my attention!!!

I took my car to the Honda dealer today and asked the service manager to take a look at the slit. I then suggested to him that it was covered by TSB #09-033. He printed out the TSB, read it through and without hesitation agreed that my car was covered. So I'm getting a new convertible top and two new handles! Yay!
Excellent news.

I have been on S2KI for quite some time and the board has literally saved me hundreds of dollars. I'm glad I was able to help you out and 'pay it forward'.

See if you can find out if they do it in-house or out-source it to an upholstery shop. It is a real PITA to do the job correctly. They need to take apart a good portion of the interior/rear deck and trim before they can actually replace the top. You'll want to make sure they are sending it to a knowledgeable shop. You may want to post on your local board to see if anyone recommends a shop and see if the dealer will work with you.

Lastly, make sure they sand/file the burrs that caused the tear in the first place.

Good luck and make sure you put some protectant on after they do the work.