S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Using Detailer Misting Sprays

Old 07-21-2002, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Detailer Misting Sprays

I've never really looked into reading the labels on various misting sprays, but I've wondered how everyone likes them. I've ordered a California Car Duster from Proper, but I'm curious to know what kind of results and/or problems encountered when using a mist detailer.

My fear is that if I'm simply spraying the mist on the car without washing it first with water, a speck of dust or dirt may scratch the paint when I wipe it. Would you use the duster first, then spray and wipe?

Any insights?
Old 07-21-2002, 01:03 PM

The only time I use a misting detailer is AFTER I wash the car. I have the same concern as you.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:01 PM

That's pretty much what I've been thinking too, Dario. I've also been reading about the types of "marks" the duster leaves as well, i.e. parrafin "smudges", etc., so I'm slightly concerned about that.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:11 PM

There are a lot of people who swear by the Dalifornia Duster. I have a mini duster for the interior, but would never think of using one on the body for the same reason - "SCRATCHES".
Old 07-21-2002, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the "misters" contain a small amount of wax, and a cleaning compound. i use them in between washings, as i have posted before. i detail, then dust after a few days- then in about a week or so i begin using the detail sprays (always after dusting)... i am able to keep my black car looking new with no swirls for over a month in between washings this way. i also keep the car covered usually when i am not driving it (to keep it clean and to avoid dings from other cars- 2 years with no dings).
btw, i dont use dusters on the interior (but nothing wrong with using them there)- i use rags, and often rags with vinylex on them...
Old 07-22-2002, 05:04 PM

I have used these quick mist detailers on Ferrari/Porsche paint, and now my S2000. I have never encountered any problems, and it does get the car back to looking good quickly.

However, I have used this approach only on very light dust....I wouldn't try it if the cars is dirty -- it needs to be washed.

For the record, I like the Macquires(sp?) product the best.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by robdianne
...I have used this approach only on very light dust....
I guess this could be subjective as well. I'm thinking that when my duster arrives, I'll probably dust every morning before I go to work, since I wash and/or rinse down my car virtually every 10 days or so. I wax once a month. I think that would be the way to go.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:32 PM

Just make sure you lay the duster in newspaper for at least 2 days, and then get it nice and dirty on a less important car. I did that and I haven't gotten so much as single streak on my black S2k. I swear by the thing, it's gotten to the point now where I wouldn't knoiw what to do without it.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robdianne
[B]I have used these quick mist detailers on Ferrari/Porsche paint, and now my S2000.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by sireousrex
Just make sure you lay the duster in newspaper for at least 2 days, and then get it nice and dirty on a less important car.
...what does the newspaper do? Also, wouldn't the dust from the other car tend to scratch my car? Just curious, although my fears are relieved by the fact that your car is streak-free!

Quick Reply: Using Detailer Misting Sprays