S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Unhappy with spoiler paintjob

Old 06-25-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Unhappy with spoiler paintjob

Hey everybody- I got a BYS replica spoiler a couple of months ago painted, from what was supposed to be a reputable shop. I have noticed lately that the spoiler now has an almost wavy distorted look to the finish in the light. I am using my stock trunk as a guage for this distortion. The funny thing is I did not notice this when I picked up the spoiler, it is something that seems to have happened weeks after I picked it up. I am assuming this is from poor paint prep? Is there anyway I can fix this on my own without bringing it to another paint shop.

I remember seeing a post on how to fix this with wetsand and repolishing.

Any comments would be help!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F20_C,Jun 25 2006, 03:50 PM
Hey everybody- I got a BYS replica spoiler a couple of months ago painted, from what was supposed to be a reputable shop. I have noticed lately that the spoiler now has an almost wavy distorted look to the finish in the light. I am using my stock trunk as a guage for this distortion. The funny thing is I did not notice this when I picked up the spoiler, it is something that seems to have happened weeks after I picked it up. I am assuming this is from poor paint prep? Is there anyway I can fix this on my own without bringing it to another paint shop.

I remember seeing a post on how to fix this with wetsand and repolishing.

Any comments would be help!
am guessing that this might be the post that you are looking for??

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...15&t=249356&st

before you repaint, got pics?
i am wondering if this might be a job that compounding could get
Old 06-25-2006, 04:16 PM

Sure, here is a quick shot, click to enlarge it.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:29 PM

That's just a nasty case of orange peel. Sometimes wetsanding can fix it. However, in fixing it you may have to thin the paint out so much that you would be left with almost no clear.

Really, the only way to fix it is to have the painting done over. A lot of cars come out of the factory with this texture in the finish although not quite to that degree. It may be a tough job convincing the body shop that they need to repaint.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Jun 25 2006, 04:29 PM
That's just a nasty case of orange peel. Sometimes wetsanding can fix it. However, in fixing it you may have to thin the paint out so much that you would be left with almost no clear.

Really, the only way to fix it is to have the painting done over. A lot of cars come out of the factory with this texture in the finish although not quite to that degree. It may be a tough job convincing the body shop that they need to repaint.
Is there anyway I can do a light wetsand to try to help out a little. I understand the damage that can occur to the clearcoat. I am not looking for perfection, just want to lower the intensity of this peeling condition.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by F20_C,Jun 25 2006, 07:42 PM
Is there anyway I can do a light wetsand to try to help out a little. I understand the damage that can occur to the clearcoat. I am not looking for perfection, just want to lower the intensity of this peeling condition.
I'm not really sure there is such a thing as a "light" wetsanding. It's kind of like saying I just want to dig up a little pavement with a jack hammer. You could try using an extremely fine grit paper like 3000 grit, but you'll need some serious polishing to get the gloss back in your paint. This requires a buffer if you don't already have one.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Alright gotcha, thanks for your advice. I will try the 3000 grit and then polish with my porter cable. I will most likely have to bring the spoiler back to the painter.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:32 PM

it almost looks like theres no sparkle on the spoiler compared to the trunk? is it just the picture? you could tell the shop thats theres more sparkle on the trunk and that the spoiler doesnt match up right and have them repaint it. I recently had my car repainted due to the fact that ther was hardly any sparkle compared to factory paint. They did an excellent job repainting it and you cant even tell it was repainted.