S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Undercarriage

Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercarriage

As a rookie firefighter ... one of the tasks assigned to the new guy was to "kerosene" the undercarriages of the fire apparatus. This was done to clean and protect the under body and suspension parts. I dont know if this is still done as I am now retired. However, is this something that would be beneficial to perform on my "S" ?

I drive it year round and am at that point where I do an underbody flush to clean off the residual road salt and crap from this past winter season. Was just wondering what you all think about using kerosene to clean and protect the various suspension components and underbody in general.

Your comments and/or criticism is welcome ...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been under a few firetrucks, old and new, and I can't honestly say that this kerosene thing was done to any of them in our city.
As for doing it to an S, I don't think it would be a good idea. If you take a look under there, you'll see that Honda has given the car some sort of corrosion protection already. I would be afraid that the kerosine may desolve this and take some of it off.
I've been daily driving mine now for 6 of the some of the harshest winter conditions you can imagine. Sure, there is lots of surface rust on the suspension components but this is pretty superficial and nothing to be concerned about. As for the rest of the underside of the car, it's actually holding up extremely well. Honda's factory rust proofing does a pretty job. Oh, I never got any of the dealer offered aftermarket undercoating, either.
If you get into the habit of spraying the underside of the car every couple of car washes with a garden hose/nozzle, this has proven to be a fairly good way to keep it in good shape.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, your probably to young to have observed this even if they did do it in your neck of the woods. I am an old fart and only was a part of this "ritual" when I first came on the job ... early 60's.

I fully agree with your comments regarding anything that has been undercoated. However, some of the suspension components that develop surface rust might not if this was done early and often.

So far I have had good results with sliding an oscilating garden sprinkler under there for an hour or so after the "salt season" ...

Thanks for you comments as always.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hehe, I'm an old fart, too, Ed. I just got a late start on my career.

If you give it a try on the bare suspension parts. Let us know how it went. You can always use a wire brush attachment of a cordless drill to clean off the rust first and then giving it the kerosene treatment. Like I said, it's only surface rust there, so not too hard to get off.