S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Ugh... my wheels look like trash

Old 06-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh... my wheels look like trash

I'm overstating the situation a bit, but I'm upset by how my wheels look right now. There are some really nasty looking scratches all over, mainly on the front right. I've been using auto zone wheel brushes for the few years I've had the S2k. I don't know if I never really noticed the scratches before, or if I just added a whole bunch today.

This is the first time I've ever used a chemical cleaner on my wheels. I've always just used soap, brushes and hands to clean the wheels. I got tired of some of the brake dust that was hard to get or not coming off, especially on the inner wheel areas. So I bought Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner and used it.

The cleaner itself did a pretty good job. I didn't remove the wheels or anything, so it's not a fully complete clean, but it's definitely better than before. I sort of wonder if the extreme clean exposed or made me look for some scratches that were already building up. Here are some pictures of the front right wheel, which is the worst.

The one section in the 4th photo feels sort of less "resistant" than the others, and it looks a bit duller, which makes me wonder if the coating went away in that section. The pictures should speak for themselves. Not sure what added the scratches, but my guess is its one of the brushes. I'm sort of surprised, because none of the brushes have metal bristles.

Now admittedly, I have been considering getting new wheels (aftermarket ones) for a while. So this isn't the end of the world to me. But, I would like to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them on the next set of wheels I buy. I'd also like to know what my options are (if any) for removing, or reducing the appearance of these scratches. Would a wheel wax help? Or would I need to have them polished and recoated?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself honda wheels that are clear coat over polished metal all tend to get that way over time. Just the act of driving down the road tends to mess them up over time as a fair bit of abrasive dirt hits the wheels as they roll down the road. The polished metal under the clear tends to show up the imperfections more as compared to painted wheels.

The rougher areas of the cleared sections is a Honda wheel phenomena, I have the same thing on my ap2v3 wheels which aren't that old, two wheels have clear sections that seem to have much less clear on them than other sections and thus they feel a bit rougher, and it looks like the clear has worn off but in reality there wasn't much there to begin with. I dont' know how that happens but my guess is they leave the factory like that. Putting a good sealant on them will bring them up a bit and give them a more slick surface with a bit of shine. I put some Menzerna Powerlock on my wheels as well as some Liquid Glass (both sealants) and it tends to bring up the rougher areas a bit.

For those scratches you could polish them out with a mild polish.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks for all the info. Truth be told, I was looking at it more and it doesn't look too bad, at least from a distance. The wheels are nice and clean now after using Sonax. I also waxed them yesterday, and that'll probably help with cleaning off the brake dust for a while. I'll have to try out one or both of those sealants. Just to be sure -- none of the wheel surface is painted? I thought I read a post saying part of the wheel was painted. The outer spokes sections definitely look metallic, but the inner portions could go either way.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by spurfan15
Thanks for all the info. Truth be told, I was looking at it more and it doesn't look too bad, at least from a distance. The wheels are nice and clean now after using Sonax. I also waxed them yesterday, and that'll probably help with cleaning off the brake dust for a while. I'll have to try out one or both of those sealants. Just to be sure -- none of the wheel surface is painted? I thought I read a post saying part of the wheel was painted. The outer spokes sections definitely look metallic, but the inner portions could go either way.

hmmmm, I can really say about the interior surfaces of the wheel, but the outer faces are machine polished surfaces with clear. I didn't think any part of the wheel was painted but I could be wrong on that, they could be half painted and half machine polished.

That wax should work well with the brake dust and appearance of the wheel.

I wonder what some of those nano-technology surface treatments would work on the wheels, they seem like a pretty durable surface treatment , they might be the ticket for our wheels. So far my sealant is working well, I'll see how long they last this season.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by spurfan15' timestamp='1307926115' post='20675254

hmmmm, I can really say about the interior surfaces of the wheel, but the outer faces are machine polished surfaces with clear. I didn't think any part of the wheel was painted but I could be wrong on that, they could be half painted and half machine polished.

That wax should work well with the brake dust and appearance of the wheel.

I wonder what some of those nano-technology surface treatments would work on the wheels, they seem like a pretty durable surface treatment , they might be the ticket for our wheels. So far my sealant is working well, I'll see how long they last this season.
I'm thinking of trying this:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/842...heels-painted/

It would totally cover up any micro-scratches, and I love the look of white wheels on silverstone. I just want to make sure the stuff will come off after a long time. When it's time for new tires, I may consider getting some painted wheels as replacements.