S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Turtle Wax "Black Box" Review PICS!

Old 05-08-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turtle Wax "Black Box" Review PICS!

So i was oot and aboot looking for some wash n wax stuff for my car. I was just about to pull the Meguires stuff off the shelf and i saw this.

Turtle Wax "Black Box"- Says its made to bring the rich deep color of dark red and black cars out. I figured lets give it a try. for $20 it was a bit more expensive that the Meguires but not by much.

I also picked up this.

Eagle 1 Easi-Dri- This stuff is amazing. Sheets the water off just like the spot free rinse at the coin wash. Was $5 and could prolly was close to 50 cars if not more. Not more running around re-soaking panels while you use ur chamois cloth to get rid of nasty water spots. Even if there is a spot you dont get to in time it still ends up looking great.

I let this spot air dry just to see what happened and as you can see, no water spots. Just the blemishes in my paint

So after washing and drying, taking a 5 min break for a soda and letting the car cool down to the touch. I started the Turtle Wax 3 step process.

The kit comes with 2 bottles of Quick Spray Detailer, 1 bottle of pre wax cleaner, and one bottle of Carnuba Wax.

This is me starting with the pre wax cleaner. It was rather thick and pasty, just like the wax. Directions say to let it haze and then use the spray detailer to remove it.

I used about a nickle sized dot on the supplied applicator and it covered around an 18"x18" area.

It took me nearly 45 mins and 5 microfiber towels to do this to the entire car. The paint felt noticeably smoother and even looked like it had been waxed already but this was just the cleaning process. Oh and this stuff is dark black and is water soluble so if u get it on anything u dont want, dont worry. it washed off quite easy.

its just doesnt have the pop that a full wax should but this is just after it has been cleaned with the pre wax cleaner.

Now onto the goodies! The waxing took me almost an hour just to get every little inch and cleaned up how i liked it. Again just use the suppllied applicator and let it haze, then use the quick detailer to remove it. After i had removed it i went back over the whole car with fresh new microfiber towel and the detailer and kind of buffed the entire car. The paint looks amazing. The car is an 02 with 69k on it. So its seen its fair share of weather and roads. But this stuff just made it look fresh, wet and new!!!

The day after in direct sun light.

Overall opinion. It was a lot of elbow working going over the car 3 times. But if you have a black car. This stuff is the bee's knee's for $20. I highly recommend it.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I've said for years, you don't need to pay beaucoup bucks for polishes and waxes to get a good look. Now we have a vendor on this site who would disagree with me but that is only because he sells the expensive/overpriced stuff
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics and write-up. Great job!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by neptuner,May 8 2010, 01:10 PM
Nice pics and write-up. Great job!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Just sharing knowledge and having fun at the same time.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

black box seems to be great stuff!!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by retvet,May 8 2010, 08:13 AM
Like I've said for years, you don't need to pay beaucoup bucks for polishes and waxes to get a good look. Now we have a vendor on this site who would disagree with me but that is only because he sells the expensive/overpriced stuff
"Good Look" is relative. Comparing a car that has used a porter cable, polishes and a high quality wax to one using over the counter product will result in a noticeable difference.

OP - Good work. Refreshed the paint some with OTC product. Now you'll just have to keep up with it.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by retvet,May 8 2010, 08:13 AM
I'd say its like shaving a woman's legs. You can shave them, and they will grow back fast, or you can wax the legs pulling out the hairs, and they will take a while to grow back.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the key as to why the "Black Box" worked so good was in the write up... Basically he said during the 'pre clean" step the stuff is black and water soluable... My guess it is filling the hairline scratches and the wax helps seal it in. Sounds like Turtle found a better way to do their color wax to hide scratches.

I don't disagree it looks good , but up keep will be all that more important with the wax sealing the color in, IMO...

Being a PC owner with all the fancy compounds, I can say it has been worth every cent... This is also coming from a guy who use to do everything by hand and using OTC stuff....
Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 AM

thanks for all the responses. yes i do agree that trying to do that once a month or so would wear me out. i def see a porter cable in my future. im just trying to do my homework first so i can buy the correct pats/polishes/compounds the first time

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax "Black Box" Review PICS!