S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Trying New Wax Products

Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying New Wax Products

All,

I have been using Zaino for quite some time, and I would to start by saying it's a fantastic product. My only beef with it is the drying time given certain weather conditions (i.e. I like wax my car when it's a little cool). I was thinking of trying one of the Zymol products (maybe Glasur), but I wanted to get some opinions on it.

First off, is it as durable as Zaino? I live in Dallas, TX and it can get pretty hot during the summertime. It is garage kept, but I don't want the wax melting off when I go to track events, etc. I have a BB S2000 2007. I will be claying and polishing my car pretty soon and wanted to try something new out. My understanding is that the Zaino shine is unsurpassed, but most of the material I've read that said was fairly old.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not sure on the durability of the Zymol waxes. I have never used Zaino, so I can't compare them.

Zymol Glasur is an excellent wax. Outstanding on black. I like black paint w/o any pearl or flake, so it will look great on your S.

Another Zymol wax that's good and cheaper than Glasur is Titanium.

Zymol makes some nice stuff!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything about carbon is good stuff from what I hear.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 PM

It's a known fact that carnuba's (zymol) will not outlast synthetics (zaino). How long are we talking? Depends on TONS of factors about the car. With the kind of sun/abuse your car sees, I would say you'd get MAYBE 3 weeks out of the Zymol before another coat would need to be applied based on my experiences with other 'nuba's.

However, I would look in to Swissvax. I think they're a better company all around than Zymol. (just my opinion)
Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the info guys. What about ease of use? From what I've read Zymol is applied by hand (literally). Does it take a long time to dry? I'll do some research into the Swissvax stuff. Again thanks!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I apply Zymol with a foam applicator. I think by hand is wasting product. Put it on very thin, wait 1-2 minutes, and buff off.

If you want to add a second coat, you need to wait 24 hours.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=slanguage,Nov 5 2009, 03:39 PM] I apply Zymol with a foam applicator.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I used Carbon - and I did so for many years - I'd apply a 2'x2' section, count to ten, and then remove. Carbon likes to be removed when still wet; I'm not sure about the other zymol waxes, as Carbon is the only one I've used (apart from Vintage).
Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 PM

I use Zymol Cream, Japones, and Carbon commonly on a monthly base.

It is definately easier to apply a thin layer of wax by the palm of the hand but there's a problem. I work 7 days a week 12+ hours a day in a factory(slave) and I handle lots of chemicals and wear leather gloves all day long(I'm a welder in the aerospace industry). And, to sum it up....my hands are like leather/sandpaper. Whenever I try the hand method, I tend to scratch the surface easily. Truthly, I haven't seen any difference between a microfiber applicator and doing it by hand. I think it wastes more by doing it by hand than a applicator; and you'll have a nice water beading hand. lol.

Zymol does give a nice brilliant color and depth, but it attracts dust very easily. "YES" it does need to be applied on a monthly base. I've experimented on one of the pannels of my car that's outside 24/7; Comparison between 1Z Glanz vs Zymol Japones and Cream, on how long it lasts. The Zymol Japones and Cream tends to last about average of 4 weeks or less(I live near the beach). Now, the Carbon, tends to reppel more dust and lasts about 5 weeks easily, but what I realized was, it's definately harder to remove after applying. I would suggest removing Zymol wax imediately(about a minute later if possible) after applying to the surface with Carbon. With the other two, it seems to glide off easily.

For Reference, I do also use Swissvax Concorso. It's like the price-point wax from Swissvax. Yes, it is expensive but it's very comparible with some of Zymol wax. It does leave a deeper color gloss and shine to the surface. It doesn't attract as much dust and dirt. And it does last a bit longer. Biggest downer is removing the wax. You'll need some elbow grease, unless I've been doing it wrong.

Oh yeah, just to add....It is recomended that Zymol wax be stored in a refrigerator.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by JunD,Nov 5 2009, 09:13 PM
For Reference, I do also use Swissvax Concorso. It's like the price-point wax from Swissvax. Yes, it is expensive but it's very comparible with some of Zymol wax. It does leave a deeper color gloss and shine to the surface. It doesn't attract as much dust and dirt. And it does last a bit longer. Biggest downer is removing the wax. You'll need some elbow grease, unless I've been doing it wrong.
You're either applying it too thick or you're letting the wax sit on the paint too long. Swissvax is VERY easy to apply/remove. I find you can apply the wax much thinner by using a foam applicator vs using a MF applicator.

I would also add that there is zero comparison between the blue Zymol waxes (creme, carbon, japon) and the estate glaze waxes like Concours, Glasur, Vintage, Destiny, etc. There's a huge difference between the two levels in the Zymol line up.

Quick Reply: Trying New Wax Products