S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Trunk plastics paint chipping

Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk plastics paint chipping

Have an '02 - in the past few months, I've noticed the paint on the plastic colored molding pieces by the trunk is starting the chip. This is happening on both sides. I figure this is occurring since 1) they are cheap plastic, and 2) (dirty/corrosive?) water from the trunk directly drops on there when opened and wet.

I think I found the proper replacements online (item 9 and 10):
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...RS&vinsrch=null

Anyone else ever have this happen - have I found the right replacement parts? I tried removing the screw, but they are held down with another tab in the middle I cannot seem to access (at least easily w/o removing anything else). I've searched around this site, but didn't find any mention. Can someone provide some pointers?

Much appreciated - thanks!

Steve

Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried using a clay bar and polishing out those areas?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:00 AM

i have the same thing going on, on my driver's side piece

i'm not sure how to go about replacing it, but i'd like to know. it stands out like a sore thumb!

wtf, they don't sell it in silverstone? really?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try searching for another year in the parts catalog (back up the category from the link above). They do show Silverstone parts for some years but not others. For instance, 2005:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...DING-PROTECTORS
Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Is that actually the paint or the clear coat coming off?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by skier219,Jul 25 2008, 09:45 AM
Try searching for another year in the parts catalog (back up the category from the link above). They do show Silverstone parts for some years but not others. For instance, 2005:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...DING-PROTECTORS
ahh, yeah i should have done that first. although i can't imagine that they're any different from year to year.

anyone got any idea what it takes to replace this thing?

Is that actually the paint or the clear coat coming off?
yeah...the clear has been fading for a while now, and it's now down to paint and probably plastic. i know, i disgust me too for not doing something about it.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Nope, haven't tried a clay bar or other type of polish. The paint is for certain damaged, so I don't see how any kind of buffing can return it back to normal.

my2ks2k: it appears to only be fastened by a single screw, which is easy to remove, and a tab underneath the middle, which to me I can't see to undo. Try messing around with it, you may be able to figure it out. Let me know if so
Old 07-25-2008, 01:56 PM

ok here we go:

you can pull the back end of the piece up a little, but don't pull too hard on it or you'll break it; you can kind of see what's going on when you look up under there.

here's what she looks like:

what i did was take a long thin flathead screwdriver and gently pry up on the black clip until it popped off the little nub. again, don't pull too hard on the end of the plastic trim piece or it will break. once i got it off, i could see that to put it back, i'll have to slide the plastic trim piece in from the side rather than press it down. if you look at the last pic you can see what i mean. the forward end just slides up under the black top trim. it could be a little trickier getting the new piece in, because it looks like there's gonna be some new double-sided tape to hold it in place.

anyway, shouldn't be too hard. i just ordered my pieces (gonna go ahead and replace them both) from hondaautomotiveparts.com.

those sneaky bastards...yeah their prices are low...then they get you with shipping; $10 to ship 6 oz. of plastic about 300 miles...what a ripoff! not to mention it'll take a week. i don't know why none of these people use UPS...

oh well. done and done.

edit: actually it's $9.67 shipping and another $4.95 for handling. like oh yeah, it can ship for $10, but if you want me to pick it up and put it in a box, that's another $5. so much for their low prices.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM

Awesome write up - thanks a lot! I now don't have any excuses to get off my lazy butt and replace that eye sore.

btw: just checked out, $51 shipped for 2 small pieces of plastic. Greaaaat
Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Can someone tell me what the part numbers are for BB, left and right side? I can't seem to find it in the catalog. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Trunk plastics paint chipping