S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Tried 2 swirl removers and NOTHING, now what?

Old 08-09-2002, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried 2 swirl removers and NOTHING, now what?

I washed my car with Dawn then I dried it and clay-barred it. I washed the car again with a normal car wash, dried it, then applied 3M Swirl Remover as per the instructions. Not a single scratch, swirly, nothing came out of the paint. I also used the Turtle Wax swirl remover (couldn't find the 3m yet) a couple days with the same result. Is it possible that it's just "the way it is" or can this be fixed? The paint looks great but once you get close it's swirl mania. The entire car from head to toe has the exact same "swirly" appearrance. Tonite I put a 150watt halogen light up to it and almost cried my eyes out... it was a horrible sight. Did I do this? I have always used 100% cotton terry towels. I do wash and polish my car a LOT but the car is only 6 months old. Was it like this from the dealer? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. dont use halogen lights to inspect your car! you arent working towards perfection... halogen lights will always make a car look bad. sunlight should not.

2. i would have stayed with 3m twice rather than changing polishes. if you used the products correctly (are you sure you didnt apply too much product?), they should work.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:20 AM

Although I haven't done my car yet, I did use the 3M swirl remover for dark finishes on a friend's Saturn (as a guinea pig ) and it worked great so far, even for some pretty deep scratches. His car had dog scratches all over the hood. Apparently his dog had chased a squirrel onto the car roof and then pretty much trashed the car trying to get to the squirrel. It took me two passes on an experimental hood area to determine that something was actually happening. On the third pass, the area looked practically new and swirl free. It was alot of elbow grease for about 45 minutes to clear up just a one foot square, but it did work very well. I'm waiting to get a Porter Cable 7336 orbiter before I tackle his entire car. After that, I'm sure I'll be an old hand at it and will smooth out my S2k's relatively minor swirling.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bash- i have used the porter cable with 3m... good reminder!
have not had to use it on my car yet, but have used it on my daughter's early 90's black car- and it worked incredibly well!
i also used pads with slight cutting action with the 3m.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:54 PM

Can the orbiter be harmful to your finish in any way? Do ALL cars have these swirl marks imbedded in the paint no matter what or is there actually a PROBLEM with my car? I know i am looking under halogen lighting but even in regular lighting up close i can see swirls.. still annoys the hell out of me.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:22 PM

I have never used an orbiter so I can't answer but there are many threads to find folks raving about the one I'm planning to purchase, Porter Cable 7336 aka 7424. I've been told all cars have swirling to some degree but it is most apparent on dark finishes, especially black. In certain light, I think there's no getting around seeing the spiderwebbing. I suggest taking an inconspicuous test area and hit it again with the 3M by hand, several passes with a soft pad and medium pressure and see if you can get them out of that area. If so, then maybe you're heading the same route I am. If not, maybe it's just a fact of finishes. The swirling bothers me less as time goes by but I still plan to polish it, zaino it and forget about it for a while. It's the cross I bear for having the most beautiful color S2K.

Note: after today's post I did go up and look at the Saturn again in the high sunlight. It's not scratched (those did come out) but it is still swirled. They may be too deep. It looks great in many other lighting situations, just not under intense streetlights or noonday sun.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:34 PM

I've used the Meguire's Gold Class swirl remover / clear coat prep. It works good. It even got 99% of a seagulls (bastard) claw scratches out after he tried to land on a newly waxed hood. Even after using this stuff, if you look close enough, there is always some swirls. I always finish with a 100% cotton polishing cloth. It seems softer than terry cloth (especially cheap terry cloth). Finish up with a good wax too. It will always look better with a good wax job.

I have a black car so it's the hardest to keep the swirls off. If I cant see any swirls from about 20 ft away looking into the sun reflecting through the paint, I'm happy. But in other angles some will show.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazybartender
[B]Can the orbiter be harmful to your finish in any way?
Old 08-12-2002, 04:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazybartender
[B] ..........
Old 08-12-2002, 10:34 AM

properly cared for 100% cotton towels will not cause a mark.

that is simply an undeniable fact.

however, there are things that can affect your finish when using even the softest of all known products - such as airborne debris, etc

keep in mind, there are two kinds of microfibre - one for burnishing and one for absorption. they are not meant to be interchangeable . . . if you are going to go the m/fibre route - get the right ones, and get the best you can find . . . spend the money....

Quick Reply: Tried 2 swirl removers and NOTHING, now what?