S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Tree Sap Got Me :(

Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tree Sap Got Me :(

The search currently is going bonkers, so apologies if this has recently been discussed.

So me, being the idiot that I am, decided to park at an end spot under a tree to avoid possible door dings on both sides rather than sacrificing the coveted in between cars spot.

When I came back, there were about 10 leaves on my car that I didn't bother to take off, given that I assumed that they'd be blown off. Contrary to what I thought, 80mph on the freeway still didn't blow them off

When I stopped, I took them off by hand and it left some nice gunky sap on the car Washed the car today, hoping that it'd just wash off, and it didn't. Worked it all with mother's clay bar, and that didn't work either. Bought some Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover, used it as instructed, and that didn't work as well. I'm running out of options quick, and am leaning towards using my friend's buffer to try to polish it off.

Any other suggestions from the wash & wax gurus?

As far as I can describe now, it looks as if the spots are mini-indentations to the paint/clear coat.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-16-2006, 05:13 AM

Identations? Something that is an indentation could not be sap. Sap sits on top of the paint. I'm not aware of sap being caustic enough to etch paint either. Is it possible these "indentations" where there before and you only noticed them because of the leaves? Also, which Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover were you using? There are a couple different versions. I find the one that comes in the metal can is the most effective.

Anyway, I'm kind of lost because you say the marks look like indentations which I don't believe could be caused by sap. If you could post up a picture that would probably help a lot.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Jun 16 2006, 06:13 AM
Identations? Something that is an indentation could not be sap. Sap sits on top of the paint. I'm not aware of sap being caustic enough to etch paint either. Is it possible these "indentations" where there before and you only noticed them because of the leaves? Also, which Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover were you using? There are a couple different versions. I find the one that comes in the metal can is the most effective.

Anyway, I'm kind of lost because you say the marks look like indentations which I don't believe could be caused by sap. If you could post up a picture that would probably help a lot.
I'll try to get a picture up today. Hopefully my macro setting on the camera will catch it since it's on a black car.

I'm positive these marks weren't there prior to the tree parking incident, but I agree with you such that it's weird that it looks like indentations . It couldn't be possible that leaving the leaves on, stuck to the paint caused it to bond in some way, and removing the leaves would take a bit of the clear coat off?

As far as the bug & tar remover, this is the one I got.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if they really are indentations, that sounds like an etching.
usually paint is etched by acids (like in bird droppings), and even water spots can etch. sap does not usually etch paint.

your bug & tar remover should have helped- you used it as per the instructions? we have several other products that would work, but first i would like to make sure that your paint isnt etched (that isnt easily curable- sometimes you can get them with polishes).

looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried 3M adheasive remover? worth a shot if all else had failed. id like to see pictures too.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM

I recommended using wd40 to another member with tree sap problems several months ago. He claimed it worked rather well.

You might also try that 3M adhesive remover recommended above.

Whatever does the trick, be sure to rewax the area afterwards.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:27 PM

wanabe: i took a good look just now after coming back from lunch having the car in direct sunlight, and it looks like water spots now...so either all my labor really did work, or i was getting a bad look at it yesterday. i'll try to upload some somewhat successful shots of the damage when i get back home later today. and yeah, i used the bug / tar as directed w/ spraying directly in the area, letting it sit for 1 min, then wiping it off. after that didn't work, i let it sit for a few mins longer with still no results.

s2kmarkus: if nothing else works, i'll go try the 3m adhesive remover as well as the wd40. just to confirm, none of these products will damage my paint permantently if used sparingly here? and yes, i do plan on re-waxing the area when i get it completely off, but thanks for the reminder

thanks for all the help so far
Old 06-16-2006, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

etches usually have an edge- you can often feel them with your fingernail.

if no edge, it could be a water spot- try vinegar. at this point i would prob go full strength. dab it on with a mf towel, let it sit a couple min then try to rub it out (one direction, as the air flows over the car). rub fairly hard.

if that doesnt get it and its not an etch, the next step will be a polish.

gonna try to find you some bedtime reading and post back here!

------------

check this out- not necessarily just one solution, but this might help you understand the problems and solutions (written by one of our members):

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-p...sh-clinic.html

Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 AM

How many times did you try to apply the bug and tar remover? This problem comes up a lot on my mom's odyssey and I go over it a couple of times (Spray on, sit for a minute and wipe off, repeat until gone) with the Turtles Bug and Tar remover like the one your using and it does it job.

Waiting for pics ...

Good luck with those marks jeff
Old 06-17-2006, 10:35 AM

well, i failed to get any sort of pics since the car's black & it's ridiculously sunny here.....it looks like my feverish clay barring and bug/tar removing did a lot of help to the point where it looks like water marks now.

applied some meguiars paint cleaner/polish today and it looks like it did a great job to where you'd really have to be looking close to see it...it looks like more faint water marks now. i'll stop fiddling with it and maybe try to work it next week, but it's at a point where i'm not as angry anymore.

thanks for all the help guys and sorry i couldn't provide pics

Quick Reply: Tree Sap Got Me :(