S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Tough Problem

Old 02-10-2004, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... it would sure suck if somehow his car randomly exploded into a ball of fire... damn... we'd feel guilty

Good luck Joja
Old 02-25-2004, 06:04 AM

OK, I purchased the following stuff and I am ready for my car to explode in flames! :-)

- 3m perfect it swirl mark remover
- 3m fine cut compound
- medallion paint cleaner.
- Meguirs Quick Clay Bar Kit
- P21s Carnuba Wax
- Meguirs NXT shampoo
- Meguirs NXT wax
- Porter Cable
- Pads for porter cable.

I have already washed and waxed the car with the NXT wax and it made a HUGE difference. My dull paint got better but I can still see the water marks and some scratches/swirls. So now that the above products have arrived I am going to try and condition my car's paint and see what effect it has. This is great practice for me with the Porter Cable before I ever use it on my S2000

So here is what I am planning on doing:

- Wash car with NXT shampoo.
- Use paint cleaner.
- Use 3M Swirl remover.
- Use 3M fine cut if needed.
- Wax with P21s.

Now here are a couple questions I have.

(1) Should I wash the car with the NXT or should I wash it with Dawn liguid soap to start with a clean base?
(2) What is the paint cleaner going to specifically do that the swirl remover and fine cut will not?
(3) Can I apply the paint cleaner to the whole car and then go back and remove it like I would with wax or is there a different procedure for doing it?
(4) What is the 3m swirl remover going to specifically do that the paint cleaner and fine cut will not?
(5) Can I apply the 3m swirl remover to the whole car and then go back and remove it like I would with wax or is there a different procedure for doing it?
(6) What is the 3m fine cut compound going to specifically do that the paint cleaner and 3m swirl remover will not?
(7) Can I apply the 3m fine cut compound to the whole car and then go back and remove it like I would with wax or is there a different procedure for doing it?
(8) Any tips on using the porter cable so I don't learn from my own mistakes? :-)
(9) Any tips on the P21s? The container looks small so I don't know how much to use. Will it stain trip or leave lots of residue in cracks?

Thank you guys all your help! Just the wash and wax had a big improvement on the car and hopefully the stuff above will have it looking a lot better!

- John
Old 02-25-2004, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by JoJa15

Now here are a couple questions I have.

(1) Should I wash the car with the NXT or should I wash it with Dawn liguid soap to start with a clean base?
(2) What is the paint cleaner going to specifically do that the swirl remover and fine cut will not?
(3) Can I apply the paint cleaner to the whole car and then go back and remove it like I would with wax or is there a different procedure for doing it?
(4) What is the 3m swirl remover going to specifically do that the paint cleaner and fine cut will not?
(5) Can I apply the 3m swirl remover to the whole car and then go back and remove it like I would with wax or is there a different procedure for doing it?
(6) What is the 3m fine cut compound going to specifically do that the paint cleaner and 3m swirl remover will not?
(7) Can I apply the 3m fine cut compound to the whole car and then go back and remove it like I would with wax or is there a different procedure for doing it?
(8) Any tips on using the porter cable so I don't learn from my own mistakes? :-)
(9) Any tips on the P21s? The container looks small so I don't know how much to use. Will it stain trip or leave lots of residue in cracks?

Thank you guys all your help! Just the wash and wax had a big improvement on the car and hopefully the stuff above will have it looking a lot better!

- John
1. doesnt matter since you will be using polishes which will do what dawn would do (remove everything else)- my choice would be the nxt
2. as i said above, its not a requirement- i would do it... it will remove contamination (things like sap particles, etc.) to make the polish (swirl remover) work better, imo. - you could also clay here if you want to try that...
3. yes
4. the swirl remover will actually "sand down" the surface- in extremely small amount. it will remove the edges of your small scratches and swirls (the edges are what you see)- and will actually remove light swirls.
5. NO- read its instructions very carefully... this is prob the most technical procedure of detailing. i can try to find a good like for instructions- properautocare.com has one. you need to work "small squares" completetly before going to the next. it is a much more intense procedure than waxing. back and forth, up and down diag diag until the product is broken down and works its magic.
6. a fine cut compound is needed only if the swirl remover doesnt work. they are both types of polishes. the swirl remover is the least aggressive of all. for a "newbee", i suggest doing the swirl removal twice before i would usually suggest going to compounds. if you can get an experienced club member to help you with the swirls, thats the best choice!
7. nope- just like the swirl remover
8. wrap the cord behind your neck- dont wear any jewelry or zippers... be patient. let the machine do the work... use very low speeds for the first few months
9. my fav!! too easy to use- my daughter used it on my car when she was about 7- thats how easy it is. again, work small areas. apply to 2foot area, and remove immediately. front to back, as the wind blows is what i learned- now most go front to back on top surfaces and up and down on the sides.
whew!!!!
you are now a wanabe trainee dude!
Old 02-25-2004, 07:34 AM

Thanks Wanabe!

When I wax with the Meguires NXT Tech Wax I wax the entire car and then go back and remove it. Is that OK for the NXT Tech Wax? For the P21s it sounds like I do something similar to the fine cut & swirld remover compunds i.e. wax a small area with the P21s and then remove it. When you say remove it immediately do I need to let it dry/haze over before I use a terry cloth towel to remove/buff it out?

Thanks,
John
Old 02-25-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by JoJa15
Thanks Wanabe!

When I wax with the Meguires NXT Tech Wax I wax the entire car and then go back and remove it. Is that OK for the NXT Tech Wax? For the P21s it sounds like I do something similar to the fine cut & swirld remover compunds i.e. wax a small area with the P21s and then remove it. When you say remove it immediately do I need to let it dry/haze over before I use a terry cloth towel to remove/buff it out?

Thanks,
John
havent used the tech wax yet, but i understand that you can apply to the entire car and let it set before you remove it (like zaino)- someone who has used it can tell us for sure.
for the p21s- best to apply and remove immediately. i love to do this with my daughter- one of us applies to an area then while moving to the next area the other removes what was just applied.... do not let it haze or dry. remove it wet. i have accidentally let it dry once- it is a much better product wet.
and i use micro fibers, not terry cloth...