S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Tough Problem

Old 02-09-2004, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough Problem

I have a 93 Civic Hatchback, that I bought used. The paint looks faded and water just forms a big sheet on the car i.e. no wax. I also took it autocrossing once and used shoe polish on the windshield. When I washed the shoe polish off it formed white specs on the body of the car that are now similar to concrete!!!! I have tried to pick at them but they will not budge.

I would really like to restore the car to better condition and take care of it. Is there any hope for my Civic? Hopefully it will teach me some lessons to take care of my S2000 that I just bought 2 days ago.

What should I use to restore the paint to a glossy look again? Any special steps?

What should I do to remove the hardened old shoe polish on the car?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. Please also do not flame me or thrash on my for using shoe polish or not taking care of the car. I already feel really bad about it and want to take care of the car.

Thanks,
John
Old 02-09-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DIY: I would start by getting a Porter Cable (PC) and some fine cut compound, swirl mark remover, rubbing alcohol and water mix, then a favourite wax or polish and then allot many hours and get to it !

then do some reading here <http://www.properautocare.com>

or take it to professional detailer

just my $.02
Old 02-10-2004, 05:56 AM

I don't know how much you can do if the paint is damaged... clay bar actually might get the shoe polish off as well as other things.

So ontop of s2ksimon's suggestion I'll put in emphasis on clay barring the car thoroughly.

From the sound of it, it won't ever look as good as new without repaint (at least thats my impression)... but it would significantly improved by a very strong wash, clay bar, and re-waxing.

Don't worry we'd only flame you if it was your s2k
jk
Old 02-10-2004, 06:45 AM

Beyond just a wash and wax aren't there products that help get rid of swirls, oxidized clear coat, etc. Don't they slightly melt the top layer of the clearcoat? Again excuse me if I sound uninformed as I am new to this but will hopefully learn a lot.

I am not confident that a clay bar will get rid of the shoe polish. It is super hard. If I took my finger nail and tried to scratch it off it won't budge. The only thing that kind of worked with a ton of elbow grease was the miracle pad (I think they are the Mr. Clean brand). The only problem is it leaves very fine scratches.

Let this be a warning to anyone that autocrosses or drag races! Never use shoepolish for your car number. If you do make sure you wash it off good or you will be screwed.

- John
Old 02-10-2004, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

john- good tips above...
you can actually restore that car to brand new!
its gonna take some time and maybe a few tries at it.
(i am repeating a lot from above)
wash with a high quality car shampoo-
i would actually start with clay, a rewash, then a paint cleaner... (maybe not necessary, but that would be my choice based on what you say about your paint),
and then go to a swirl removal. you should then have just about everything off the car except for any heavier scratches or swirls that you didnt get cause this was your first time.
yup, you will lose some of your clearcoat, but not enough to worry about. each time you use a polish, you are actually "sanding" down the very top of the finish. but that is what it is meant to do.
dont forget that the last steps are to put back a strong finish... carnuba wax or synthetic. and several coats would be my vote.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:07 AM

Oops I missed your post above S2KSimon. I will try what you suggest. Is the fine cut compound, swirl mark remover a pad for the porter cable or a liquid product I apply?

- John
Old 02-10-2004, 07:10 AM

fine cut compound is a rubbing compound... separate from swirl remover. they are both polishes. the swirl remover is the least aggressive, which is why we usually use it first. it might do the trick... if not, then you go to the next level (lowest level of true rubbing compounds- the fine cut). they are all liquids or solids depending on the brand.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:11 AM

Thanks Wanabe! Can you guys recommend some actual products to purchase for the above steps? I am so new that I don't want to go out and buy ArmorAll products because I didn't know better.

- John
Old 02-10-2004, 07:19 AM

sure... simon gave you a good general link-
a bit more specific would be:
http://www.properautocare.com/polish.html

and some of the products that i would use would be:
for swirls- 3m perfect it swirl mark remover
and if you need a rubbing compound, the 3m is also good (the fine cut compound).
for paint cleaners i most recently used the medallion paint cleaner.
in my opinion, just about any good clay will work as for your clay- just follow the instructions and if you drop it, trash it.
i use lots of p21s products- such as their shampoo and wax
also like zaino.
if i was in your position, i think i would start with either p21s or meguiars shampoo- (but there are lots of good shampoos).
then clay,
then i would use the paint cleaner (some would skip this since you will be doing a swirl removal, but i am a perfectionist and it sounds like your paint needs it!)
then the 3m swirl remover,
and would have the 3m fine cut product, just in case (and would hope not to need it!)
i would finish off the job with p21s wax.

if that all worked, the next time you detail the car, i would remove the wax and go to a synthetic (such as zaino). this would mean that you would wash the car with dawn, the apply the zaino. and hopefully that would be all you need to do.

btw, you know we have skipped your interior, tires, wheels, and engine compartment, etc.!!! cause you have enough to work on for now!

good luck, and post back your results!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:44 AM

Thanks guys! I am going to take before and after pictures. Hopefully I can post them and show a miracle story.

- John

Quick Reply: Tough Problem