S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Top Dye

Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Dye

Howdy Folks!

Let me preface this by saying I'm familiar with the top cleaning/restoration products (like 303, etc.). My top is actually mint looking minus the issue below!

6-7 months ago I had bleach drip down on the car while my top was down. I had a few tiny splatters and one major area (about the size of a nickel) on inside of the top - basically the front fold that's exposed and facing up when the top is down.

It doesn't show when the top is up and isn't terribly noticeable in back (and of course gets hidden with the tonneau cover). I can snap a pic or two if anyone wants to see the actual damage.

It's a shame, because the whole car is in excellent shape (it's a '07 with only 12K miles).

So I'm looking for a permanent fix which I would figure would be some kind of dye? A big handful of sharpie markers? Bleach the whole thing white??

Any input is highly appreciated
Old 09-20-2009, 07:49 AM

pics would probably help. my first instinct would be to try a sharpie.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:53 AM

Yeah, I'll snap a couple of pics. TBH, I already tried a little "cover" with a sharpie, but the black is a little too intense.

It's such a small, niggling thing, just figured while I'm getting everything else put together really well, I'd figure out how to resolve the top. Hell, I half considered a new one, but that's a little radical since it's new otherwise.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:31 PM

i would go with bleaching the whole thing white
Old 09-21-2009, 05:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the area is as small as you indicate, and your only looking to 'lessen' the noticeability, I would try a shoemaker.

They tend to stock colorfast dyes for vinyl. They also might have a black, which is not as intense as the Sharpie. As long as the dye is not petroleum based, I'm GUESSING it would be ok.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on the road right now, so can't get details, but there are products like 'back to black' that would prob work...
Old 09-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the replies. Some good recommendations - I found some vinyl shoe type dyes available online, but I'm going to check at the local shoe repair place.

Is back to black a branded product? I was trying to find it online.

I also found some vinyl dyes at a local auto parts shop - I'm just not sure if there are any differences in this top vs. something like seats or a dash.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM

yea back to black is the name of the stuff i think thiers a write up on here about it
Old 09-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search this site- (Top of the Line.) Convertable refinishing kits. Trim Color shield specifically. This kit is also recommended for refinishing convertable tops.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Awesome, thanks again. I'm researching these products - I'm going to get something rolling soon since it just bugs the hell out of me.

Not that anybody asked, but we were having the house pressure washed (and they use a slight bleach mix). The garage was closed, but I opened it a few hours later and there was enough still standing on the door that it dripped down on the rear half of my car. It didn't affect the paint, but turned the inside of the top white where it dropped.

Quick Reply: Top Dye