S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

TOO MUCH washing?

Old 02-27-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XViper, once again, hit the nail on the head. If it makes you feel good to wash your car frequently, then do it. IF you clean your car right, swirls shouldn't be an issue. I know I've washed my car excessively (if there can be such a thing) with zip zero nada swirl marks anywhere.

Besides the fact that I just feel soooo dirty (well, and that's not necessarily a bad thing either ) when my car is nasty, I keep it clean as a preventitive measure - the cleaner I keep my car, the cleaner it stays. For example, I think that for sure I have missed scratching up my car because it gets dusted every night and washed after it rains - what I'm trying to say is that if my car was nasty dusty and some bonehead traces the outlines of the car with his fingers, or rubs up against the car while it's dirty, I think my chances of getting scratched are better when the car's dirty vs. clean.

Also, cleaning my car is a relaxing time to bond with her and inspect the car for any potential damage. Like the time that tar overspray from some road construction wound up on the paint without me knowing - had I not been detailing the car that night, I never would have felt the specs of tar - hence the anal, maniac drive that I have to clean her up saved the paint from potential staining thanks to the tar and the Texas sun.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
At the risk of making Purple_sky puke:
http://gallery.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/image...geview/11408/6/
Old 02-27-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by catfish
XViper, once again, hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:47 AM

Old 02-27-2004, 10:54 AM

Purple Sky,
As for washing. Dirt build-up like above. Without a protective layer like Zaino will start to rub and grind in to your clear coat. I wash as offen as you, every 1 to 1-1/2 weeks. If there is alot of dirt and mud on it, and i don't have time to wash. i spray it off.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:26 PM

I totally agree, that I treat the car better when it's clean, park in safer spots, drive more careful when I'm on crappy roads etc.

I agree with bonding time too!!!

XViper- THE HUMANITY!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 12:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I know! I'm such a PIG!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:29 AM

Thanks Xviper, for posting those pics! My eyes watered and my nose itched. That's exactly what I go through whenever I see dusts or dusty things. A subconscious repercussion, I guess. Mr. Fireman, use your fire hose to blast the dirt off, it'll probably blast the paint off too. Powerful those things are.

I guess washing once a week or every two weeks is not excessive or obsessive. Yes, some of you make very good sense about washing to prevent paint damage or imperfections caused by sunlight or extreme heat. But here is not exactly Texas either. I just enjoy washing. I guess that's it for my washing questions.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:43 AM

http://gallery.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/image...geview/11408/6/
Old 02-28-2004, 01:32 PM

I agree with BigMeanBull

but what a satisfying wash that would be when you eventually do get around to it

Quick Reply: TOO MUCH washing?