S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Too many polishes available for the porter cable

Old 10-26-2004, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too many polishes available for the porter cable

I'm picking up the porter cable and a few pads, but my next step is deciding on what polishes to use. I'll be using this mainly on my own car to apply wax and do a once-a-year swirl removal. I have and use zaino for wax, but need help on deciding which polishes to get. I'd like a rather fine polish that can be followed with a wax application and will remove some minor swirls, etc. Also, my fiance has '94 ford explorer that hasn't been well maintained, and I'd like to brighten up the paint on it before we sell it. The end result doesn't necessarily have to be perfect, but I was thinking of using a little more medium polish on it, followed by whatever fine polish I decide on and a coat of wax. So, I guess I'm looking for suggestions on a couple of good polishes. One a more medium polish, and the other a finer polish that can be followed with wax.

Her car is black and mine is silverstone, so maybe the swirl remover for dark cars would be a good fine polish. Unless of course this isn't meant to be used as a fine polish. I really am confused about all of the products and brands available. I've read a lot of stuff on the autopia forums and stuff at proper auto care, but was hoping some s2k owners would come forward, and tell me what you are using specifically (what combination of pads and polishes/compunds are you using?) and whether or not you like it. I don't plan on going pro with all of this, but just want to use the right combination of stuff to brighten up a paint job.

Thanks in advance.

-Doug
Old 10-26-2004, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it evolves, one product may work great now, but another one will come along and better it. It's never ending. You should see what my shelves look like..

you basically decide on your own of what works best for you. I did searches, here went to autopia.org, properautocare.com and found the Poorboys line works best for me at the moment.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

adding to simon's comments...

keep it simple and go slow-
my fav product for swirls is the one you mentioned.
3m swirl remover- for the black car, use the one that has my car in its ad!:

http://properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html

and for your silver use:

http://properautocare.com/3mperpolforl.html
(maybe you can get your car in that ad- they need one!)

if the swirl remover doesnt brighten up the paint (it probably will), then i would next try a paint cleaner- i have used several recently and here is one i like:
http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/meg-m-9716.html
this one is a bit rougher or more aggressive (in case the above doesnt get it):
http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/1z-930606.html

if those dont work, i will be really surprised (my guess is that the product was not worked enough- you gotta really work polishes)- but your next step would be a fine cut compound. simon has posted up some pics of fine cut results recently...
but again, keep it simple and as non aggressive as possible.
post up some pics if you can (before and after are best)
Old 10-26-2004, 08:08 AM

Thanks guys.

Wanabe - so, the paint cleaners are slightly more aggressive than the swirl removers you've listed? And the swirl remover is fine enough to follow with a wax? Assuming this is correct - if I use one of the paint cleaners will I need to then use the swirl remover and follow with wax - you know, step down in cutting ability? Or will the paint cleaner leave me with a nice shine?

Believe me, I've done a lot of reading, but can't seem to find cut and dry info about this stuff. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Thanks again everyone. I'll look into the meguiars and poorboys stuff
Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=usace,Oct 26 2004, 08:08 AM] Thanks guys.

Wanabe - so, the paint cleaners are slightly more aggressive than the swirl removers you've listed?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:52 AM

Yep, I told her I was going to do her car first as my guinea pig. It's an older car and hasn't been kept very clean, so it looks a little weathered and the chance of making it look worse is slim. If anything we might get a little more for it when selling it if I clean up some of the blemishes and make the paint look crisp.

Thanks for the links, I like to read as much as possible before I try to tackle anything new.

Quick question about the swirl remover you've suggested - Is it possible to use it on two different grades of pads to change the aggressiveness of it? For example, if I were to use an orange pad first w/SMR, then follow with a white polishing pad w/SMR. One article I read stated that this was possible, but I'm curious to hear more about it and if this is recommended. If so, I might just purchase the SMR and use it for both of these pads if I need it to be a tad more aggressive.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by usace,Oct 26 2004, 11:52 AM

Quick question about the swirl remover you've suggested - Is it possible to use it on two different grades of pads to change the aggressiveness of it? For example, if I were to use an orange pad first w/SMR, then follow with a white polishing pad w/SMR. One article I read stated that this was possible, but I'm curious to hear more about it and if this is recommended. If so, I might just purchase the SMR and use it for both of these pads if I need it to be a tad more aggressive.
for polishing i always use an aggressive pad...
you can use different grades, but i wouldnt
you wont see the difference, imo

now if you were restoring a classic car my opinion might be different- but the difference between perfection and where you will end up is not easy to see!
but again, i am not trying to talk you out of anything, just giving my opinion.

i want you to have a good experience so you will want to do it again!
Old 10-26-2004, 05:26 PM

I'm curious which pad(s) you use, i.e. what "aggressive pad" do you use for polishing? Or better yet, what pad did you use to achieve the shine in the properautocare ad? I'm leaning towards the lake country pads, but I'm wondering which (what colors) would be good ones to have in my arsenal. I'd like to use the PC to apply wax as well.

Again, thanks for all of the help.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:11 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by usace,Oct 26 2004, 03:52 PM
Quick question about the swirl remover you've suggested - Is it possible to use it on two different grades of pads to change the aggressiveness of it? For example, if I were to use an orange pad first w/SMR, then follow with a white polishing pad w/SMR. One article I read stated that this was possible, but I'm curious to hear more about it and if this is recommended.

Mark
Yes you can use a less aggressive pad and see if it does what you want. I have done that in the past but 9 time out of 10 for swirl removal you will need a more aggressive pad so it isn't worth wasting a finishing pad just go straight to the polish pad.

I like the green Sonus pad for SMR.