S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

switching to the pro game (help!)

Old 07-22-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default switching to the pro game (help!)

ok so i'd like to step up my game and go from wash and wax addict to a semi pro detailer. in order to make the leap i know i need to stock up on some more products (need to get jet seal, lusso oro, simple green for wheel well, carpet shampoo, and some other small things).

the biggest purchase i need to make is a buffer though. this is where i really need help (any other product help is welcomed of course though).

do i go with the porter cable 7424? a dewalt equiv? or this ultimate detailing machine random orbital buffer i see on the CG website?

in addition, what pads/extra items do i need to get with the buffer?

i'm not going to be opening a shop or anything, but would like to be able to do moble jobs and some here and there jobs.

thanx for the help fellas!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned a lot through posting in autopia.org forums.

Get either a metabo (most expensive) or a makita buffer. I've heard nothing but good things of both, and I own a metabo and simply love it!

Also, look into getting a carpet extractor. When I get my first round of funding from my investor for my business, that's the first purchase I plan to make for sure.

Look into LakeCountry CCS pads, they are by far the most popular and widely used pads (which means something!)

You'll need a few hallogen shop lights (1000w or 500w). And also a nice spotlight like a brinkman in order to see swirls in garages/etc. And also to get those money 50/50 shots!

Do your research on autopia.org there is so much info and the product lists are incredible over there on what people use and different combos to go with.

Right now I have a few menzerna polishes, as well as lusso oro and zymol vintage.

Get at least 30-40 quality MF towels as well as 5 or so drying towels from detailersdomain.com. Phil's stuff is great.

Look into other CG chemicals for wheel wells, wash, and degreasers. They have a lot of good products at extremely reasonable prices.

Good luck with your ventures! I'm just starting to hit semi-pro as well, and hope to go full time within 6 months to a year

Again, good luck!

Aaron
Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to be on the right track in terms of chemicals and products. Let me give you my 2 months worth of detailing experience with buffers though.

I started out never handling a machine polisher of any sort. Then I bought a rotary! A Hitachi to be specific and it is nearly identical to the Makita. I've been doing paint correction pretty well, so you can go straight to a rotary as well. It's also all a matter of preference for which one. Metabo/Makita are two very popular choices. The preference comes in when you're actually holding the polisher. The more comfortable you are with it, the more you want it! Polishing is going to be the BIGGEST part in detailing.

Don't worry so much about chemicals cleaning. Just make sure you can polish well. A great polish job can make turtle wax look great!

The only advice I can give you with getting familiar with the buffer is to practice. Practice at first on some random sheets of metal or on a car you don't care about. 2-3 seconds in the same spot with this thing and it'll burn through your clear coat easily.

As for pads, CCS vs flat pads are a debate in itself. CCS spreads better but it seems to break down the polish a little more unevenly than the flat ones. For that reason, I prefer flat ones. I have black, white, and orange. I use the white one the most so stock up on those!

E-mail Phil@DD about these and he'll certainly take care of you.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecC,Jul 22 2008, 08:09 PM
The only advice I can give you with getting familiar with the buffer is to practice. Practice at first on some random sheets of metal or on a car you don't care about. 2-3 seconds in the same spot with this thing and it'll burn through your clear coat easily.
Good advice, I however took a different approach. I bought my makita when i was 19 and learned on my civic that was my pride and joy at the time. Never have burned any paint in all the time I have been polishing. Just be patient and check the metal to make sure its not getting too hot when your learning, this is the most common mistake as many polishes have long work in times. Foam pads on a rotary can generate a great deal of heat and if you leave it in the same spot for to long, it will burn the paint.

Some good advice given this far though!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Former Moderator

If you want to do paint correction quickly, you won't be wanting a random orbital machine of any type.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with the above statements about the rotary. I prefer the flat (non-ccs) pads myself, but I will be getting some 3M waffle type pads soon. just waiting for them to come in.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Downgear,Jul 24 2008, 06:57 AM
Good advice, I however took a different approach. I bought my makita when i was 19 and learned on my civic that was my pride and joy at the time. Never have burned any paint in all the time I have been polishing. Just be patient and check the metal to make sure its not getting too hot when your learning, this is the most common mistake as many polishes have long work in times. Foam pads on a rotary can generate a great deal of heat and if you leave it in the same spot for to long, it will burn the paint.

Some good advice given this far though!
Funny you should mention that! I am 19 and I practiced on my cars first
Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM

Exact same situation with me!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 PM

When I first picked up a rotary, I used it on my 2 month old 2007 S2000! Man, I cant believe I got the balls to do that! But I am happy I did now bc I myself am also leaping into the "pro" league.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanx for the help so far. seems like the biggest tip with my PC will be "practice makes perfect". i still have my dd- a 94 geo prism lsi, and will be using that to learn on (it's helpful it has 135k miles on it and is black so should provide good feedback to what is/is not working) and my mothers 04 accord. i'm going to check the "how to" post for info on using a machine. so far i have a white and black CCS pad. so looks like i need one with more cut (orange) and one for polishing/waxing (maybe find one that's flat for that?? any ideas guys??). could i still wax/polish by hand with the same result though?

wish i woulda bought a machine long time ago. of course i was 19/20 in iraq so that kinda explains that :-(

also what would u guys recommend for wheel protectant and plastic trim care?

also need a good set of products/tools for engine bay cleaning

Quick Reply: switching to the pro game (help!)