S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Swirls and colorful specs in the windshield

Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swirls and colorful specs in the windshield

I was driving into the sun yesterday and I really noticed tons of colorful (mainly blue) specs IN the windshield. It's not dirt on the inside or outside. The windshield is also pretty heavily swirled. Are these two things related? And how did the windshield get into such bad shape in just 3 years?

I'm planning on having the car professionally detailed by someone on this forum sometime down the road. I assume they'll be able to polish the imperfections in the glass similarly to the way they do on the paint. Is that correct?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I've got them too. I was told they were acid rain spots

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=Z-12
+ a Porter Cable should take it right out though.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM

Hum. That's interesting. Shouldn't be too hard to restore though.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard water does that and it can be a PAIN to remove. PC with compound works do it regularly in my details. But vinegar supposedly works also.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that our windshields are particularly vulnerable to damage because of how low to the ground our cars sit--perhaps the angle of the windshield also contributes too. A common problem that we have is pitting--tiny microscopic holes in the windshield, as if the windshield has been sand-blasted. There's absolutely nothing we can do to remove this pitting. Is it possible that the blue specs you are seeing when the sun hits the windshield is the light passing through the pits?

You can clean up a windshield using glass polishes or polishing compounds, but actually removing scratches is a different matter. It's possible in some cases using cerium oxide. Check out the Eastwood Glass Polishing Kit. Lake Country also has a windshield repair kit. Read Todd Helme's discussion of windshield polishing.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll try a couple of the solutions and let you know what works best. I'm starting to think it might be little pits in the windshield because last night as oncoming cars shined their headlights into my windshield I could see the specs again, but this time they were just headlight colored.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it's pitting. I have it bad on my car and its a 04. When the sun hits it just right, it can be a complete hazard. I contacted my local windshield place, and they quoted me about $140 installed. I don't know if that includes the seals or not. I sure hope so.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM

That's not bad at all if it includes the seals.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JEEBS
I would say it's pitting. I have it bad on my car and its a 04. When the sun hits it just right, it can be a complete hazard. I contacted my local windshield place, and they quoted me about $140 installed. I don't know if that includes the seals or not. I sure hope so.
Sounds like a good price to me. I just ordered some Griot's glass polishing pads and cerium oxide.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone recommend some protection? I've put zaino on my windshield before, but is there anything more I can do?

Quick Reply: Swirls and colorful specs in the windshield