S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Swirls On Carbon Fiber

Old 01-19-2005, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirls On Carbon Fiber

My hood in the sunlight shows plenty of swirls. I have been using Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover on my other cars and it worked fine. All my other cars were white. Well i tired it on my hood and it didnt quite work. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use. Ill be applying this by hand, no PC for me. Im guessing ill need something less abrasive. I was thinking about 3M SMR but it seems like it will be very time consuming. I have swirls on other panels for my car and i was planning to do the same. Let me know guys, Thanks!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first, proper swirl remover by hand is extremely time consuming...
no way i would do this after using a machine!
so my first advice to you is to post up in your local forum that you are looking for someone with a pc- they supply the machine and you will supply product.
then you get experience (anyone with a pc usually has experience using it) and a machine, as well as a new friend- for just the cost of some product.
i do like 3m swirl removers- and, yes, thats my car in the ad:

http://properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html

even with a machine, proper swirl removal is somewhat time consuming cause you gotta work the product- its not like wax where you apply and remove. all polishes have to be applied and really worked.
let us know if you need more polish tips.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:07 PM

So much info on swirls and other steps to detail a car gets me soo confused. If i use 3M Swirl Remover it will only hide the swirl, is that right? I also hear its only a filler but it partially smoothens out the edges of the swirls, if so after continous use it will eliminate them? How long does it last, how often should i use it, and should i follow up with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze then Wax. Thanks for all your help!

-Tony Yeung
Old 01-22-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tony-
if you work the swirl remover (which, btw is a type of polish) properly, it will remove the swirls... and not just cover them.
there are swirl covers out there, such as zaino's, that fill in the swirls- they eventually wear out and the swirls come back.
unless you have scratches that need a higher grit polish you should not need another polish step.
you do need to put a protective coat of synthetic or wax after you polish cause polishing takes the car down to the clear coat (it removes all protection that you had put on).
Old 01-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Jan 22 2005, 09:46 AM
tony-
if you work the swirl remover (which, btw is a type of polish) properly, it will remove the swirls... and not just cover them.
there are swirl covers out there, such as zaino's, that fill in the swirls- they eventually wear out and the swirls come back.
unless you have scratches that need a higher grit polish you should not need another polish step.
you do need to put a protective coat of synthetic or wax after you polish cause polishing takes the car down to the clear coat (it removes all protection that you had put on).
If i use Zaino, wouldnt the scratchs be hidden for a long time. I read that it last up to 6months and that its layerable. If i use zaino and everytime i wash my car, use Z5 and Z6, it would have extra protection and last longer right. Or the next time i wash or in 6 months the scratchs will reappear.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Yeung,Jan 22 2005, 09:28 PM
If i use Zaino, wouldnt the scratchs be hidden for a long time. I read that it last up to 6months and that its layerable. If i use zaino and everytime i wash my car, use Z5 and Z6, it would have extra protection and last longer right. Or the next time i wash or in 6 months the scratchs will reappear.
Tony,

Based on your three posts so far, you are looking for shortcuts that just DON'T exist.

If you want to remove swirls by hand, it will take a lot of time and effort to do it right

If you want to hide swirls, there is no magic product either. Swirl fillers help but based on my experience, it will take many layers of the product to eliminate swirls. The swirls will not stay hidden for 6 months if you use zaino Z5.

If you don't want to get a PC and you don't want to learn the proper steps on detailing a car and swirl removal, the the best advice I can give you is hire someone to do it!