S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Swirl marks, what to do?

Old 05-08-2004, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl marks, what to do?

I have had my S for about 6 months now. I put 3 coats of Zaino on it shortly after I took delivery. Well, I am noticing some swirl marks now, I assume from the frequent washings (I use only good MF towels and I follow all "safe" washing techniques). I am going to have some time to apply some more wax this weekend. I am wondering, does the Zaino 5 (I think that is the swirl remover stuff) work at all? Or am I better off just applying the Zaino 1, as it is supposed to offer the best shine, and then get my car professionally detailed later this summer to get the swirls out? I just don't want to waste time with the Zaino 5 if it won't make a difference anyway. I do not have a buffer, so that is not an option.

Thanks for you input.

Andy
Old 05-08-2004, 05:34 AM

Z5 will do the trick for you, but it's a swirl filler, not a swirl remover. so in another words, in time the swirls will be noticeable again. the other option is to use a swirl remover.

my suggestion is to use Z5 until you get enough swirls that doing the real deal will be necessary. swirl remove takes off a tiny bit of clear coat to do what it does, so you don't want to do it often. not to mention, you'll have to rewax the car afterward, so it's a lot of work.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:10 AM

Thanks, that sounds like a plan. Hopefully one coat of the 5 followed by a coat of the 1 will reduce the appearance of swirls, and keep the shine. I imagine I'll take it in to a detailer sometime this summer, to get it all buffed out and then i'll start the process again.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

asaj-
you might need more than one coat of z5...
and i agree with wortham- cover until they bother you enough to remove them.
then you need a swirl remover- i like the 3m swirl remover for dark cars.
more info:

http://www.properautocare.com/removingswirls.html
Old 05-08-2004, 09:02 AM

So, I was thinking I could take it to a detailer and have them buff the swirl marks out, that will work to, as opposed to using the swirl remover, correct?

The swirls aren't bad, I am probably the only person who will ever notice them, but you know how picky us S owners are.

I only have time for two coats of wax today, so I'll do a Z5 and a Z2 (I think that was the other one). I'll just keep sandwiching them until the marks aren't that visible.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a formula red s2k...which shows swirls much harder than suzuka....NXT made them almost invisible.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use a wax/polymer with filling properties but the swirls will only come back after several washes.

Best thing to do is find someone or a detailer with an orbitial or rotary to get out the swirls. To determine what product/tool you need, pictures would be needed.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by OC S2K
You could use a wax/polymer with filling properties but the swirls will only come back after several washes.

Best thing to do is find someone or a detailer with an orbitial or rotary to get out the swirls. To determine what product/tool you need, pictures would be needed.

They are just your everyday, run of the mill, swirls, nothing extreme.

Anyway, I did one coat of the Zaino 5 and followed it with a coat of the 2, and then the 6. Car looks sweet now, although I haven't had a chance to look for the swirls again. I figure it'll be due for another wax in the Fall, so I'll have it detailed then, and get it buffed back to perfect.

Thanks.