S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

swirl mark bonanza

Old 08-20-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swirl mark bonanza

My car is only a month old, but it had been on the dealer's lot since december. When I got it (on a dealer trade, at night, of course) it had a fair amount of wash scratches on it.

I bought the porter-cable and tried to polish it today. Went over half of the trunk 7 times with Griot machine polish 3, it looks swirled now. So, I went and got the 3m machine glaze for swirl removal and ran over the same section 4 times with that. There are still swirl marks on the trunk. I have had it.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Irvine area who can polish the car out for me? I am ready for professional help here.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

probably just your method needs some tweaking...

want to tell us how you did it and we can help you (even if maybe just for next time?)-
the things i see folks doing wrong most often are:
1. working the product circular
2. not working it enough
3. not working small areas at a time

you might want to post up in your local forum too... on this board- you might find a local member who can teach you how to do this.
btw, i would also change the products that you are using.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

porter cable use does take practice. Also, its simply not laying down a machine with some goop expecting it work. Its a combination of machine, with product, the amount of product applied, are microfiber towels used to wipe excess off or is it machine to dust and then of course the pads that are used. machine > polish/compound > pads..

did you attempt to search the how to's of porter cabling ?

regardless, the let the professional use a rotary first and remove all the swirls, then apply the pre polish with the porter cable and watch and learn.

if you need any suggestions, feel free to pm me or feel free to post pics here and give us detailed steps of what you did..

Old 08-20-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonus orange pad with menzerna intensive polish. This combo will make the swirls disappear in one application. Use highest speed. I spritz my pad with detailing spray first, put an X of product on the pad with a dot of product in every quadrant; Smear the pad/product on my 2' x 2' work square; figure 8's in one direction, both diaganols, then 90 degrees to where you started until the product disappears. Check your work, if not happy, repeat with another product app.

In my scary paint chip thread, this technique didn't hurt the blue tape running down the hood even after 10 applications so I doubt it will hurt your clearcoat.

A glaze is the final touch, not something you want to cut the swirls. After reading all these how to threads, it's the product combos you use that determine what you get.

Goodluck.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:47 PM

I realize that I didnt give a whole lot of info regarding my problem. I guess the basic problem is that I do not have a lot of experience with the Porter-Cable. I live in Pasadena and work in Irvine, CA. Is there a member reading this that would be willing to take a look at my car and give me a quick lesson in the P-C so that I can get my paint where it needs to be? Mabye an hour or so after work?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Elbeldesign,

What part of Irvine do your work at? I am around Spectrum area. You can call me at 949.581.9900, ask for Tim and call yourself S2000, I will meet with you somewhere at lunch and, perhaps, I can share with you my PC experience or will refer you to a professional from Meguiars.

Tim
Old 08-21-2005, 08:24 PM

Tim,

I work at the intersection of the 55 and MacArthur. I'll give you a call tomorrow morning and see what we can set up for lunchtime.

Thanks for the help. My goal is to get my berlina looking as good as yours!

Ben