S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Super Bird Droppings (now with pics)

Old 09-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Bird Droppings (now with pics)

Going off this thread, (apologies for double thread), but I finally got to trying to get these out once and for all without taking it to a professional detailer or even getting a respray.

A brief history of what happened almost 3 weeks ago:

Stupidly, in my rush, I parked under a tree, played tennis on a day that was probably around 70-75 degrees, came back to my car 2 hours later to find fresh droppings. I made it home in 35 mins, then took a hose and sprayed most of it off from the surface. I let it sit for another 30 mins or so and drove to my friend's place to wash the car and let him have a go with his dewalt buffer & 3m products. No success was found here and since then, it's been sitting around on my car through 2 washes.

Today, I washed the car with dishwashing liquid to strip everything, and took mother's clay bar (with the QD) to it and felt that it was removing some of it, but definitely not enough. The paint is not completely smooth to the touch, even where the bird droppings are, and bug and tar remover did nothing. I'm about to get onto the 3 step meguiars job (paint cleaner, polish, and wax), but does anyone have any good suggestions as to what to do? I'm starting to get worried that it's permanent or will cause the paint to oxidize.

I also might have my other friend help me w/ his PC and sonus products, but I'm afraid that it will have the same result as if I used the meguiars.

Below are some edited pics to show the damage clearer.

These are just 5 pics of a few of them but there are about 8 in total.

Please help wash & wax gurus!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first picture it's hard to tell what it is, but the other pictures definitely looked like etched bird bombs. Some bird poo can be very acidic it depends on the type of bird and what they've been eating. The most acidic bird droppings will etch your paint very quickly as you've found out.

There are only 2 ways to get out etchings . . .

1. Polishing
2. Painting

If the etching is all the way through the clear coat then you'll need to re-paint. However, if it's not some serious polishing should make it a lot better or even remove it.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, looks like an etch.
to be sure- if it is an etch it will have an edge. you can feel etch edges with your fingernail.... so if you can feel it- you got an etch!
if you dont feel it you gotta stain-
the only diff is how hard you need to polish. an etch will likely require more than a swirl remover while a stain can often be removed with a swirl remover (the lightest polish you can use). if it is an etch, you will prob need a fine cut compound. and for either you are way better off with a machine (porter cable would prob be your best bet).

for the future- to avoid etches... i carry detailers spray and a microfiber towel. anytime i get hit by a bird i get it cleaned up immediately. if it sits, it contains acids which are what cause the etch.