S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Suggest a Sealant

Old 10-18-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Oct 18 2007, 01:40 PM
Let me clarify a few points.

Carnauba is a fantastic protectant when used regularly, but that's the rub. For the summer it's no problem; carnauba wax your car every 2-4 weeks. For a car that sits outside all the time in the cold rain and snow i'd be looking at something that I wouldn't have to redo every few weeks. Unless you are going to religiously apply carnauba you might as well just stick to a good sealant.
I'm more apt to agree with you given this clarification. For winter carnauba I like to use something longer lasting like Collinite 476. Even if you don't have that I would still put a carnauba on top. It won't last through the whole winter, but adding it doesn't take longer and it will add additional protection to your car while it lasts.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Euclid,Oct 18 2007, 03:04 PM
I'm a big fan of Wolfgang.
I also prefer Wolfgang for its great look, easy on/off, and slippery finish. I could argue about durability but I have yet to find and easier to use and more slippery synthetic.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM

Ok, so skip the glaze? I was thinking the glaze (the 3M stuff for dark cars) would fill in the last of the swirls that my low skill level won't allow me to remove with a compound and polish?

So assuming I wanted to still use a glaze it would go like this..

compound
polish
glaze
Sealant (I have Klasse AIO)
P21S

is that right?

Or if I skip the glaze, same process but without the glaze?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by dmw16,Oct 18 2007, 02:39 PM
Ok, so skip the glaze? I was thinking the glaze (the 3M stuff for dark cars) would fill in the last of the swirls that my low skill level won't allow me to remove with a compound and polish?

So assuming I wanted to still use a glaze it would go like this..

compound
polish
glaze
Sealant (I have Klasse AIO)
P21S

is that right?

Or if I skip the glaze, same process but without the glaze?
I also say "skip the glaze" because sealants bond directly to the paint. So, putting something in between the sealant and the paint (i.e. the glaze) can inhibit the bonding of the sealant which greatly reduces the length of protection you will get.

Also, Klasse AIO is not a sealant. It's more like a cleaner wax (that has sealant instead of wax). So you won't get much protection from it. What you want is Klasse Sealant & Glaze. That's the sealant.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Gotcha. So there are sealants with glazes in them...

Also, is the Menzerna FMJ worth the cost difference compared to the Klasse Sealant?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by dmw16,Oct 18 2007, 02:54 PM

Also, is the Menzerna FMJ worth the cost difference compared to the Klasse Sealant?
No. Klasse Sealant & Glaze is just a sealant. There are a lot of mis-used terms in the detailing world. For instance Zaino refers to Z2 as a "polish" when in fact it's a sealant.

Also, I would say it's really a matter of opinion which is better Klasse or FMJ. I would say Klasse lasts longer. So, in your situation that's pretty important.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Euclid,Oct 18 2007, 12:04 PM
I'm a big fan of Wolfgang.
Von Puck

Old 10-18-2007, 01:34 PM

with klasse you only have 2 steps: AIO and SG
with menzerna you have : polish, glaze, and FMJ = more time invested

having used both, i can say the menzerna gave me a bit more depth in appearance. as far as protection i would say they are pretty similar.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmw16,Oct 18 2007, 12:54 PM

Yes it's worth it. I'm maybe halfway through my 32oz. bottle that I purchased almost 2 years ago (applying it once every 4-6 weeks on average), so if price is a concern, don't worry, this stuff will last you a LONG time. It's an excellent sealant--amazing gloss/shine and it buffs off so easily compared to Klasse SG. Durability is excellent as well. I've gotten a solid 4-5 months out of a single coat
Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Poorboy's EXP sealant on my car and my client's cars. It's easy to use, smells good, and lasts for a few months and can be layered with other synthetics. Good stuff.

Quick Reply: Suggest a Sealant