S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Suggest A Glaze Please

Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggest A Glaze Please

What is the best glaze option for a black car?

I was thinking the 3M Perfect-It II Glaze Foam Polishing Pad Glaze or the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. But there are others out there. Any suggestions or is one of the ones I mentioned the way to go?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:25 AM

Why do you want to use a glaze?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:26 AM
Former Moderator

Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i like the 3m machine glaze
http://properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html

and understand the why use a glaze posts too...

a glaze is the lightest level of polish usually- great for paint cleaning (water spots, light swirls) with minimal clear removal. that said, there are also good polishes that can do the same thing-
glazes are a bit more forgiving, and i like them for newbes for that reason- because of the fillers you dont have to get all of the swirls. which is also the main criticism... as long as you are doing the process, why not remove the swirls?
on soft black paint, a glaze has a place imo (and its just an opinion).
Old 10-09-2007, 07:08 AM

I was under the impression that the glaze mentioned had some fillers. I am still new to this swirl removal stuff, and I haven't been getting all the swirls out. I was hoping a glaze would cover up some of my inexperience and let my car look good while I learn.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by dmw16,Oct 9 2007, 07:08 AM
I was under the impression that the glaze mentioned had some fillers. I am still new to this swirl removal stuff, and I haven't been getting all the swirls out. I was hoping a glaze would cover up some of my inexperience and let my car look good while I learn.
yup, kinda what i was saying...

yes, the 3m has some fillers - it removes the edges of the swirls so they dont reflect light (you dont see them) and fills in the bottom... or so the theory goes

if you want tips on why you arent getting all the swirls out, you could tell us what products and pads you have tried and we can comment
Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 AM

I am using orange and green pads to apply Optimum Compound and Polish. I am not sure if I am working at the wrong speed (typically 4-5) or moving the PC too fast. Or not working long enough. I also am forced to work in the sunlight (but I try to find shade as best as I can) since I live in an apartment.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 AM

might be the wrong pad order... which do you finish with?
green edge is usually for higher level of polishes (a bit more than just light swirls)- and optimum is a chameleon polish (it goes with the pad level)- if you have very light swirls, your orange should work, followed by a blue.
your speed is fine
do you work small areas really well?? (the polish will be pretty much gone in one small area - about 2'x2'- when you are ready to check your work)

i would start earlier in the day before the sun is out and on the west side of a building-
Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 AM

I had been using the green pad with the compound, the orange pad with the polish and then will use the blue pad to apply JW Prime and white to apply a glaze (next time).

I think I may tend to work too large of an area. Maybe I'll start putting painters tape down to prevent this.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:08 PM

from a pm that is on point to this thread:

<<<<<<<
" I know your a fan of the 3M polish for black cars. I was wondering if your using a pad that has some cutting when using the 3m with the porter cable...like a lake country orange pad.
Could you please outline what you use with the 3M? I only have minor swirls and I want to preserve my clearcoat and would rather stay away from using abrasive polishes since my NSX is 10 years+"
>>>>>>>
--------
with a light compound, like the 3m glaze, (for cars with light swirls) i would use an edge orange usually (yes, it has some cutting action)... and if i need more then would step up. usually do not need more and might step down to blue.
i use white with protection (wax, or synthetics)-
i think that your nsx is clear coated, but that would be my first step- to make sure. do you know for sure? if its not, you would want a diff polish.

btw, should also add that glazes work best on cars that live under covers (like mine)- almost no chance of rain on that car.

Quick Reply: Suggest A Glaze Please