S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Stubborn Spots on Inside of Wheels...!

Old 09-03-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stubborn Spots on Inside of Wheels...!

Ok everyone, I have seen these types of spots before on other cars, and they have been referred to in some other posts as well - but I cannot get them off for the life of me!!

Here are the pics:

I think they are just etched in brake dust spots, but not sure. Here is what I have tried so far:

1. P21S Wheel Cleaner (not the Gel)
2. Stoner's Tarminator
3. WD40
4. Clay Bar
5. 3M Rubbing Compound (just a little bit to see if it would even put a dent in it)

So far, nothing has even come close. This is a front stock wheel to our Accord (about a year old) - first time I have taken them off to clean them, but I always use a wheel brush to get "inside" - but have recently noticed this spot buildup (so I decided to really have a go at it by taking them off).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have just about had it with 'em...
Old 09-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, looks like etch to me too...

polishing would be the most likely process that has any chance-
surprised that the rubbing compound didnt help. try it again, and really work it in one small area. if it works, then expand the area.
btw, rubbing compound is not an apply and remove type product- work it until it dusts, or at least until your hand is about to fall off!!! (good use for a porter cable)

another possible product to try:
http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/men-ip16.html
Old 09-03-2004, 11:37 AM

Thanks wanabe... I didn't give the rubbing compound much of a chance (i.e.: I didn't work it in until pain ensued!) I do have Porter Cable but haven't used it for anything yet (was planning on using it on the Accord tomorrow). If I give it a try, what color pad should I use?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pittpanther,Sep 3 2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks wanabe... I didn't give the rubbing compound much of a chance (i.e.: I didn't work it in until pain ensued!) I do have Porter Cable but haven't used it for anything yet (was planning on using it on the Accord tomorrow). If I give it a try, what color pad should I use?
cool- great way to learn the machine- inside of wheels...
if it doesnt work, only you will know.

i would use the most aggressive pad you have- prob orange or yellow. and be sure not to use that pad for anything other than wheels!

maybe trash it after it does the job, unless you have more wheel insides to do!

and post back your results!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:14 PM

SOS Pads and lots of elbow grease ...

Follow with a good coat of wax to prevent future problems.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same problem. I have the stock wheels and tires from my '02 RSX type S stored in the basement. I want to sell them so I brought them up into the garage. Looked like crap. What worked for me is the Never-Dull metal polish. I went ovet the inside of the wheel with this first. Then I used a Scotchbrite (semi-abrasive) sponge and some car wash mixed with warm water. It was a lot of work. Mucho rubbing, but it worked. The inside of the wheel is slightly grooved from the mfg. process, so that makes it a bit more difficult, but almost all of the spots came off. Of course, it's not perfect, but all the black is gone, and unless you look really closely, they look new!
Good luck!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:29 PM

Thanks for all of the great information - I will post the results of what worked best for me, and maybe some before and after shots (if I am happy with the results!)
Old 09-07-2004, 05:22 AM

I wound up using SOS pads (about 4 per wheel) and a lot of elbow grease. Like frank b and E White said, it is a lot of work. Most of the spots came off, while others remain, although they appear a lot lighter and less apparent. It is really tough to get into the fine grooves of the wheel. Anyway, here are some before and after pics. After the wheels, I used my Porter Cable for the first time to apply 3M's Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Color Cars, then a couple of coats of Z2!

Before:

After:

Thanks again for all of the suggestions...