S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Waste crankcase oil (WCO) is defined as used lubricating oils removed from the crankcase of internal combustion engines. Before they are used, crankcase oils consist of a base lubricating oil (a complex mixture of hydrocarbons, 80 to 90% by volume) and performanceenhancing additives (10 to 20% by volume). Crankcase oils are altered during use because of the breakdown of additives, contamination with the products of combustion, and the addition of metals from the wear and tear of the engine. Therefore, the composition of waste oil is difficult to generalize in exact chemical terms. It is recognized that the major components consist of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons (such as phenol, naphthalene, benz(a)anthracene, benzo(a)pyrene, and fluoranthene) [752]. According the US Coast Guard Emergency Response Notification System (ERNS), used motor oil is one of the most commonly spilled petroleum products the U.S [635]. See Fate.Detail section below for more information on spills and other routes of entry into the environment. Lubricating oils are relatively heavy products. Petroleum distillates in order of decreasing volatility include [363]: 1. Petroleum ether or benzine 2. Gasoline 3. Naphtha 4. Mineral spirits 5. Kerosene 6. Fuel oils 7. Lubricating oils 8. Paraffin wax 9. Asphalt or tar. The CAS number given for used motor oil by ATSDR, 800205-09 [961], is incorrect; that CAS number is used for petroleum in general or crude oil [617]. Br.Haz: General Hazard/Toxicity Summary: New motor oil contains fresh and lighter hydrocarbons that would be more of a concern for short-term (acute) toxicity to aquatic organisms, whereas used motor oil contains more metals and heavy polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) that would contribute to chronic (long-term) hazards including carcinogenicity (see Chem.Detail section below). Metals of concern include lead; and often to a lesser degree, zinc, chromium, barium, and arsenic [752]. Aromatics are considered to be the most acutely toxic component of petroleum products, and are also associated with chronic and carcinogenic effects [770]. Aromatics are often distinguished by the number of rings they possess, which may range from one to five [770]. Lighter, mono-aromatics (one ring) compounds include benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylenes [771]. Aromatics with two or more rings are referred to as polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) [770]. Waste crankcase oil contains several toxic components including up to 30% aromatic hydrocarbons, with as much as 22 ppm benzo(a)pyrene (a PAH) [75]. In a recent Upshall et al (1993) study, used motor oil had a density of 0.828 g/ml and contained 14% aromatics and 65.4% aliphatics (by weight) [519]. In this study, the sum of 26 individual PAHs represented 0.17% of the oil, or 1.2% of the aromatic fraction [519]. Above paragraph text reprinted with permission from Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Volume 12(11), C. Upshall, J.F. Payne, and J. Hellou, "Induction of MFO Enzymes and Production of Bile Metabolites in Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Exposed to Waste Crankcase Oil." Copyright 1993 SETAC]. Used motor oil typically has much higher concentrations of PAHs than new motor oil [40,519]. Chronic effects of naphthalene, a constituent in used motor oil, include changes in the liver and harmful effects on the kidneys, heart, lungs, and nervous system [766]. Due to their relative persistence and potential for various chronic effects (like carcinogenicity), PAHs (and particularly the alkyl PAHs) can contribute to long term (chronic) hazards of jet fuels in contaminated soils, sediments, and groundwaters (see "PAHs as a group entry," individual PAH entries, and metals entries).
Old 04-08-2006, 11:51 AM

You all do what you want, putting used crankcase oil on tires is irresponsible and hazardous to everyone in terms of toxicity, I just hope you don't live within 1000 or so miles of me.

If you would like to know more, just Google 'used motor oil' with or without the words 'HAZMAT'
, 'TOXIC', or 'CARCINOGENIC'.

I saw something on Speed Network as well. It was a show called 'Pinks'

I think I'll go out and race some NOS'd civic for the title to my car. , After all, I saw it on TV.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CaptMike!!! You have got to much time on your hands!!!! Being a city boy, and spending 8 years in Europe as a child, I would say that I am a well rounded "City Boy." I met a women in S. Carolina and ended up marrying her and living in Kentucky. Point being - Anyone who burns trash, garbage, dead trees, and anything else they want to burn, they go straight to their "used oil" jugs, old coolant jugs, dowse everything with the oil, light it up, and wait for everything to burn. Some have even siphoned diesel out of their tractor to start a fire.

Kero, no offence, but people who would use oil on their tires on a regular basis are the same people in Kentucky that have 4 dogs on the porch, 3 old cars in the driveway, and live in a run down trailer.

Which is why I tried it on my wife's car!!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:45 PM

I am not claiming to be an expert by any means, but I am a mechanic. In my years of service I have notice that when a car has an oil leak any rubber part in the leaks path turns soft and gooey. Get under a car with an oil leak and look at the control arm bushing or sway bar bushings. Something in the oil softens the rubber and ruins it. I would not want it on my tires. Maybe a detailer would use it to save money on shop expenses - not his car why would he care.

I have used Future floor wax with nice results. It looks shiny...last a while and dries completely.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:03 AM

[QUOTE=CaptainMike,Apr 8 2006, 11:51 AM]
I saw something on Speed Network as well. It was a show called 'Pinks'

I think I'll go out and race some NOS'd civic for the title to my car. , After all, I saw it on TV.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:40 AM

Kero, nice to see you applied the same intellectual rigor to your response to my post as you did to your original post, I'll give you an 'A' for consistency.

Cheers,
Mike

(just wish I knew what it was supposed to mean...)
Old 04-09-2006, 08:27 AM

Just as an FYI, all "trade secrets" are not true. Some in fact are very dangerous. For one, a while back, it was a "trade secret" to use rubbing alcohol to take off serious soiling and ink marks from leather. The truth was the alchohol worked, it took off the marks and soil, but the reality was that you had basically just stripped off the finish on the leather in the process. It was essentially the equivalent to using paint stripper on the outside of a car to get off the dirt, yes the paint stripper would make the finish smooth, but you would lose all durability and have BIG problems in the near future.

In this case, I do not think any of the additives would cause problems, remember there ae rubber seals inside the motor and if they disintegrated your car probably wouldn't run. As for the oil itself, not sure if it would do much of anything to the tires. We should ask Jim over at the TireRack, he would probably know...
Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by KERO,Mar 25 2006, 03:35 AM
My form of contributing to this board. Hope most of you try it and save yourself plenty of money.

If you're spending more then $.01 of your money on ANY tires detailing product you're wasting your money. Too good to be true? Absolutely NOT! I bet most of us here are very familiar with the Armor All and other brands that turn the side wall brown after it's dried up. Don't get me wrong, there are some product out there that will not turn the tire brown (well not a fast). But the cost of maintenance will reach the level of absurdity. Save that money and spend it on some other useless mods (eg. decals, second sets of rims etc..)
Sound like an infomercial?

Truth is, It is the Greatest/best/Bang for the Buck (YEAH I SAID IT!) trick is to use your "USED MOTOR OIL" and wipe it on your tires. That's the professional tricks my friends..
Think about it, tires (rubbers) are made from petroleum...and using it's natural form to detail it will actually improve the look, performace of your tires.
According to the professionals, every time you wash your car..detail it with some used motor oil, after the 4th or 5th time...you no long have to re-applies it. All you have to do is wipe with a soaped sponge. Unless, you want it shining brighter then the AP2's L.E.D.
Here's the advantage of using your used motor oil. After your car goes through it's regular oil change, the cost of detailing your tires is FREE. If you preferred the natural looks, use sparingly. If you want the ultra-shine look, pound it on. Now tell me how you can beat that!

Spread the words and stop this insanity of wasting money. Use it to sponsor or adopt a third-world country kids or something. Only cost $.70 cent a day. A Meguire or Mother or Armor All will cost you more then $4.00 per purchase.

This is one of my tires that was detail using the above method. Please pay no attention to the rotor rust nor the dirty spoke. There are how to's on that already, beside we're talking tire detailing here.
Here is the only problem: You are putting motor oil on your tires!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People used to gargle with amonia. Shiny teeth now, terrific pain later.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Apr 9 2006, 07:40 AM
Kero, nice to see you applied the same intellectual rigor to your response to my post as you did to your original post, I'll give you an 'A' for consistency.

Cheers,
Mike

(just wish I knew what it was supposed to mean...)
Stop crying Mike, You get what you dish out. You insulted me in your first response and when I come back at you...you're crying about it? Not only that you insulted me again. So stop "biaatchin".

Quick Reply: STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!