S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!

Old 04-04-2006, 05:23 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundzero,Apr 4 2006, 01:29 AM

Why stop there? our soft tops are mix of fabric and vinyl!
Nope, just vinyl Andy.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:40 AM

Ubetit!!!! You're back!! We missed you!

I did try it on my wifes 97 Taurus. The tires look ok. No damage, but on my S2000 I still use 303. Nice idea, but for the moment I can afford 303.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:56 PM

Don't know if this will work or not, and don't care, personally.

Sorry, but I would be "PISS", if a car in front of me skid up oil onto my windshield, especially when it's rain out.

It may not be harm to your paint, but something you just don't touch your car with, may be it just me. If I can afford this car, I can afford a can of tire dressing once in a while if I want to.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kens_s2000,Apr 4 2006, 11:40 AM
Ubetit!!!! You're back!! We missed you!

I did try it on my wifes 97 Taurus. The tires look ok. No damage, but on my S2000 I still use 303. Nice idea, but for the moment I can afford 303.
Your wife, was she mad?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:20 AM

I use amsoil or redline synthetic on my tires... I do not use dino oil.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:19 PM

Hey Kero,

No the wife was not mad. It was her idea. She is not particularly a car freak. As I was reading her the different posts people had written, she told me to go ahead and try it on her tires.

1st - The tires look clean and shiney.
2nd - The oil was rubbed on with a rag and there was no oil dripping from the tires that "might" fling off onto someone's car.
3rd - If you have a cheap driver and you want to have it looking some what ok, then used oil is the way to go.
4th - I won't use this on my tires, but I will bring in conversation if "tire dressing" ever comes up.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:46 AM

[QUOTE=Kens_s2000,Apr 6 2006, 03:19 PM] Hey Kero,

No the wife was not mad.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:53 AM

If you are using your used oil as KERO has pointed out I would strongly recommend investing in some latex gloves for your application process. Must oil manufacturers are very up front about contact with oil...especially used oil. Take for instance the MSDS on Mobil 1 from mobil.com:
HANDLING
Avoid contact with used product. Prevent small spills and leakage to avoid slip hazard.
Hand Protection: Any specific glove information provided is based on published literature and glove manufacturer data. Work conditions can greatly effect glove durability; inspect and replace worn or damaged gloves.
Skin and Body Protection: Any specific clothing information provided is based on published literature or manufacturer data.

Just an FYI.

Personally I think I would rather pay the $4 than risk long-term exposure to something that is known to cause health issues. I guess that could also be said for just about anything these days including long-term driving of an s2000.
-j
Old 04-08-2006, 09:56 AM

Clearly I didn't read the entire thread before posting my reponse. I see the issue has been covered. I can't read yet...
Old 04-08-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We don't know what happens to this 'missing oil', however, anecdotal evidence suggests it could be:

Sitting in temporary stockpiles (eg sitting in the garage or shed)
Retained in waste or scrap equipment (such as vehicles)
Lost to the environment at collection points via spills and leaks
Put out for rubbish collection
Illegally dumped in places such as parks, reserves or waterways.
Without a proper mechanism for safe disposal, oil can seep into the ground and contaminate soil, streams, rivers, lakes and drinking water. Used motor oil contains contaminates such as arsenic, lead and magnesium which when released into the environment are toxic.

One litre of used oil can contaminate up to one million litres of water, which is about half the size of an Olympic swimming pool.

Used oil is hazardous, toxic, carcinogenic and harmful to the environment when irresponsibly discarded. It is also poisonous if swallowed or inhaled and may present a fire hazard if not properly stored.

Quick Reply: STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!