S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!

Old 03-25-2006, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!

My form of contributing to this board. Hope most of you try it and save yourself plenty of money.

If you're spending more then $.01 of your money on ANY tires detailing product you're wasting your money. Too good to be true? Absolutely NOT! I bet most of us here are very familiar with the Armor All and other brands that turn the side wall brown after it's dried up. Don't get me wrong, there are some product out there that will not turn the tire brown (well not a fast). But the cost of maintenance will reach the level of absurdity. Save that money and spend it on some other useless mods (eg. decals, second sets of rims etc..)
Sound like an infomercial?

Truth is, It is the Greatest/best/Bang for the Buck (YEAH I SAID IT!) trick is to use your "USED MOTOR OIL" and wipe it on your tires. That's the professional tricks my friends..
Think about it, tires (rubbers) are made from petroleum...and using it's natural form to detail it will actually improve the look, performace of your tires.
According to the professionals, every time you wash your car..detail it with some used motor oil, after the 4th or 5th time...you no long have to re-applies it. All you have to do is wipe with a soaped sponge. Unless, you want it shining brighter then the AP2's L.E.D.
Here's the advantage of using your used motor oil. After your car goes through it's regular oil change, the cost of detailing your tires is FREE. If you preferred the natural looks, use sparingly. If you want the ultra-shine look, pound it on. Now tell me how you can beat that!

Spread the words and stop this insanity of wasting money. Use it to sponsor or adopt a third-world country kids or something. Only cost $.70 cent a day. A Meguire or Mother or Armor All will cost you more then $4.00 per purchase.

This is one of my tires that was detail using the above method. Please pay no attention to the rotor rust nor the dirty spoke. There are how to's on that already, beside we're talking tire detailing here.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:30 AM

wow i never even thought of that
Old 03-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Former Moderator

Which professionals use this trick? None that I've ever met. Interesting, but I think I'll stick with 303.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=Ubetit,Mar 25 2006, 08:46 AM] Which professionals use this trick?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No thanks, I'd rather spend $3 every few summers than saving used motor oil and smearing it on. Used motor oil can have corrosive contaminents in it, I really don't want that flinging-off onto my paint.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:51 AM

I don't doubt that it works. But like mentioned before, what happens when it gets on your pait?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll just not detail my tires at all, since it's a pain in the ass.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:56 AM

I'll just by new tires.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=Ubetit,Mar 25 2006, 07:46 AM] Which professionals use this trick?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most oil have additives.

If anything use Silicone Grease. That will not eat rubber.

However for the road racers, sometimes you find yourself riding on the sidewalls on a hard turn... wouldn't be nice to have 'grease' eh? :-P

Quick Reply: STOP buying those TIRE DETAILS products!