S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

starting out and need someproduct advice

Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting out and need someproduct advice

Hi I just picked up my s a month ago and its a silverstone. Looking for help with what to purchase as to keep it looking good. I can't really blow 300+ but would like recommendations on what I need.

So far I've read up and seen ..
Wash: meguairs gold class
Clay: meguairs clay with ultimate spray wax?
Polish: this is the area I'm unclear on and do I have to purchase a Porter cable? If so where would one get one to start out?
Sealant: asking unsure of this
Carnuba wax: I've read that this may be unnecessary if you use a sealant but that results are much better when you apply wax after a sealant?
Top: 303 aerospace
Also I know I need to get a nice wool mitt and some microfiber towels.
would it be better to get the "absorber" or a waffle weave towel to dry the car?

Interior:
I've heard lexol and vinylex. Are these safe for all of the interior?

When I am polishing/applying sealant and wax is it necessary to use a pc? Or can decent results be given through hand?
I've researched and searched threads but I'm still a bit lost. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got all the stuff I started out with and honestly have been pretty happy with. Yes, you do need to pick up some sealant....any will be fine, but I go with zaino for the amount of clarity and depth. It's expensive, but I also use meguiars #21 sealant on family cars. It can be found at murruys.

Wax is not necessary, but can be put on top of the sealant for added protection. Your spray way I like to use weekly when washing the car. It helps to dry the car as well when sprayed on directly after washing.

A pc you will need along with some pads. I bought mine at detainers domain because they had the best deal.

There are a number of options for correction with polish. I honestly used meguiars ultimate polish found at walmart form $10. Using that with the med pad, I made passes and it took out 95% of my swirls...5 years of girl owning worth.

I then followed up with menzerna 85rd and the final polish pad and the reflections were like looking into another dimension.

Id also pick up some good micro fibers. A boars hair brush for your wheels and jambs,'and a sheep skin mitt.

Good luck, accumulate as you go on.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.autogeek.net is a very good site to purchase stuff from, they also have a forum that is very helpful/informative.

car wash: duragloss 902, hands down had the most suds that i have ever used and seen
clay: any clay will work, just make sure you lubricate the body panels well, i use onr for my clay lube and waterless car washes
polish: menzerna sip and ip and/or meguiars 105/205 combo are both good choices. if its your first time, id stick to the menzerna as they have diminishing abrasives. i learned on menzerna and still only use menzerna.
sealants: i have had good luck with poorboys exp sealant
quick detailer: any quick detailer will work, i like the finish kare 425
carnuba waxes: poorboys natty's paste wax, might not give that look of something like fusion wax but for the money spent, you cant go wrong
glass: invisaglass or invisible glass

mitt: sheepskin mitts is all i would ever use on any car
towels: pakshak towels are the thickest mf towels i have used, yet they cost accordingly as well

to dry the car, i recommend a leaf blower instead of a waffle weave/chamois

for polishing, get a pc and some lake country ccs pads

i prefer to apply sealant and wax by hand (foam applicator). the only time i use my pc is when polishing.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the good advice guys.

It seems as if the mezerna would be a little bit more friendly on me as opposed to a meguiars polish? However I've seen that meguiars ultimate polish too just never heard feedback of it. But from what you say 95% of the swirls along with a good polish finish would work well.

I'm definitely gonna look into getting some mf towels from pak shak. What are the benefits of a leaf blower as opposed to towels? Is it because it would be more thorough thorough cracks and etc?

so far
polish:meznerna sip and ip, or meguiars105/205. the ultimate polishing and finishing with some mezerna also sounds good.
sealantoorboys/meguiars with a foam applicator
sheepskin mitt and MF towels.

I'm still a bit unsure where to pick up a PC and which size/type pads to use for what I need to look into this more.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/griot...isher-kit.html

I saw this, but is this too small?

or one of these http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7.../dp/B002654I46
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no contact to the surface with a leaf blower and you get the water out of the cracks too.