S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Spot cleaning on body

Old 04-07-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spot cleaning on body

I believe there's a zaino product I think people use to spot clean every now and then,, but..

haven't gotten around to even getting the stuff yet.

So, in my ghetto improvisational state, I was cleaning the windshield with Invisible Glass when I saw a dirty spot on my hood. So I squirt the stuff with the bottle in hand and lift the dirt with a towel.

Question: Is spot cleaning the body like this with 'window cleaner' bad? I know it certainly isn't THE solution but.. given nothing else available, should it suffice?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

window cleaners usually have ammonia or other cleaning agents that are a bit harsh on your paint.
they could remove whatever protectant you have on the car.
no harm, just wash and rewax.

and for the future, there are lots of great quick detail sprays out there... depends on whether you are looking for a synthetic or carnuba based one. just dust the car first and then quick detail spray small areas- my car gets this at least once a week.
i keep a separate duster and rags for the wheels- they need love too!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:17 PM

What I used apparently did not contain Ammonia, which I was worried about after your response, wanabe;;

I found this, and just thought it would be interesting and another for invisible glass:

"You'll save time and effort because Invisible Glass contains no surfactants, soaps or foams. Other glass cleaners are made of water and suractants (soaps), which are inexpensive ingredients that remove most dirt but leave streaky, hard-to-remove residues. Invisible Glass removes all dirt and leaves no residue. Contains no caustic ammonia (high pH) or hazy (silicone) wetting agents."

In any case, I'm probably going to pick up Meguiars Quik Detailer spray.
Now, I know Meguiars also makes the Quik Wax, but what would be the difference between the two? I think they're essentially both quick detail products if I am not mistaken right?
Old 04-09-2006, 06:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am not a meg expert, but i think that their quick detailer is just a cleaner... and if the car is already pretty clean the quick wax would prob work too.
maybe quick detailer first then quick wax. maybe someone on this board has used these products and can comment.

more info from meg:
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_lis...sectionID=11601

of course, the very first step is an inspection to make sure that the paint is free of any sand or other real dirt. then dust the car well, and finally do the quick detail spray. entire process does not take much time.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:28 PM

Quik Detailer and Quik Wax are a little different.. Quik Detailer is used for what you did above with your Windex. It cleans light dirt/dust/smudges off of your paint between washes when you need a local touch-up.

Quik Wax is a spray on/wipe off carnuba wax for people that want to "wax" their car in a hurry. I would not use this to clean dirt from your paint, but as a full-up wax subsititute after a wash during the dry (well, I wouldn't use it for that either...)

Quik Detailer is pretty good stuff. It works best on a cool surface that's not in the sun. As wanabe said, this (nor any) quick deatil sprays are miracle workers. It will not safely remove large dirt or sand particles. It floats light dust and smudges/fingerprints very nicely without scratching, but will leave light scratches in the clear coat if you try to substitute a quick detail session for a level of dirt that would warrant a full wash.