S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Spilled 3 grande cups of coffee yesterday

Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spilled 3 grande cups of coffee yesterday

Hey everyone,

So long story short was picking up some coffee at starbucks for my coworkers and on my way back, some idiot pulls out of a parking lot infront of me, and I had to slam on my breaks, with all three grande coffees spilling all over on the pass. side.

So my questions is how do I get the smell...stick..and stains out of the CARPET? What I did with the floor mat (since it's removable) was pull it out.. douse it with Megs APC and then scrub away.. rinsed it for about five minutes with the hose.. doused again with Megs APC and scrub.. rinse again and then let hang dry, so I'm not worried about that.

But what's the condition of my carpet? Do i have to pull that whole side out because it soaked through or should I just keep scrubbing away?

I do have a carpet extractor but it's not a heated one that I know of. Just a regular one, would that work?

'08 too . I was so mad...

Thanks for any help

Aaron
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are on the right track- how does the removable carpet look? should be about new-
if so, use a silmilar technique on the built-in carpets, but minimize water and be sure to dry- sun and a fan should get it.
there are some decent waterless products, but the water choice is better for coffee imo.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Yeah, the removable carpet is almost completely dry, and looks almost new, better than before 'cause I haven't washed 'em in a while .

I'm just kind of nervous to be putting water inside my car.. I have been blotting the area with towels every so often. Would the carpet extractor work?

Aaron
Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Ouch! Red interior too! Good luck with this!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as long as theres not tons of wiring under the carpet you should be fine with water. i've done carpet cleaning in my old celica (93) and corolla (87) before and i had no problems... well also might be due to the fact that back in those days there wasnt much electronics on the car anyway... but yeah... the car should have drain plugs underneath that you can open if you wanna wash through the carpet...
Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM

im not sure about in the S, but isnt the ecu in the passenger side floorboard?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

i dont think you'd use that much water as to actually get the ECU wet. i've found that the scrubby foamer stuff works pretty well.. not 100% recovery so i don't know what you'd wanna do. (i used it in my old 98' prelude and was impressed that it got better, but it definately wasn't fully restored)
Old 06-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You could always use a shop-vac and vacuum up any excess that is left or use the extractor. I would try the extractor 1st, since you have one and thats what they are meant for. The Meg's apc does work well. If not then try some Folex. Bought mine at Home Depot.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as you down drown the carpet you should be fine. Even if you get it reasonably wet, the extractor will get most of it back out after which you can let it dry with the top down, car on and climate controls set to feet. I would keep the heat down so you dont bake any residue into the carpet.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

when i use to detail cars the way i was taught to clean carpets was use a soap or even simple green if you can be patient and actually get all the cleaner out of the carpet, which is a good idea cuz it can cause fading faster if you dont. Soak the carpet with a hose, scrub, use the shop vac, repeat, and repeat. the S should dry very fast with the top down just sitting in your driveway. id be careful with the soaps though and test them on your floormats first to make sure they dont change the color or have any adverse effects first

Quick Reply: Spilled 3 grande cups of coffee yesterday