S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Sonus Review

Old 08-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonus Review

I was one of the lucky ones to be chosen to review a few new products from Sonus. David Bynon owner of one of the coolest sites on the web, autopia.org, also endeavors in the product side of things with autopia-carcare.com and their own line of Sonus products.

When the issue came up about the use of Interior detailing sprays I couldn't quite understand what they would be used for. David offered for 10 of us to get to try his products as long as we gave a review.

Sonus Total Eclipse - a protectant that looks similar to 303. It is milky white albeit a little thinner than the 303 I have on hand. My wife's Infiniti G35 is a great test mule for this product. The car's interior gets used and abused hard by my wife and 22 month old daughter. Pop and milk spills abound on the seats and door panels. I washed the car and vacuumed it well. I apply protectants heavy to an applicator pad and then run that over all the surfaces. I did the dash and all 4 door panels including the console. Although it says you can use Sonus Total Eclipse on leather I usually refrain from using anything but traditional leather cleaner and leather conditioner. I let the Total Eclipse settle on the dash for a few minutes and wiped it up with a microfiber towel. It buffs to a nice clean matte finish. Some other protectants streak when applied heavily. This did not even when allowed to dry in a few areas on purpose. You can leave the Total Eclipse on and it turns out shiny. Give it a buff and it turns out with a matte finish. It removed the spills on the door panels by my daughter's car seat easily. After my next wash I'll apply this to the top of my S2000. It has been 303'd since they day I got it and it still looks new. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in appearance. Overall I was very happy with Total Eclipse.

Sonus Cockpit Detailer - My understanding of cockpit detailers is that they are designed to give your interior a quick refresh just like the exterior quick detailers are designed to refresh your exterior without washing. I use my exterior quick detailers when my car has a little bit of dust on it and it doesn't require a full wash. The detailing spray adds a barrier of protection and lube between your microfiber towel and your paint while helping to suspend the dust for easy removal. You wouldn't want to just dust your car with a microfiber towel because you would induce scratches.

For the interior, I keep a microfiber towel or two in a baggie under my seat. I dust my interior when it needs it. Every other wash or so It gets the full treatment of 303 on the vinyl bits and Townsend on the leather pieces.

I used Sonus Cockpit Detailer on my S2000. I have a black interior so it shows dust an hour after it is cleaned. The Cockpit Detailer is a clearish-white liquid that feels like it has a little lubricity to it. I tried it two ways. A direct spray to the dash and sprayed on an applicator pad. It goes on easy and the dash looks great in the areas where I used it. A slight citrus smell. I have one concern however. I applied it in an area that had 303 on it from a week earlier. It looks like it removed the 303 in just that little area and the shine is now different enough to see it (my camera can't pick it up). To get things back to an even finish I had to use cockpit detailer on the entire dash. It did leave a nice matter finish on my entire cockpit i would just like to know if my protectant and its UV protection is still working. I'm a little torn on the cockpit detailer when it comes down to it. Does it work, yes. Do I like it, yes. Will I use it? I don't know. I'm still trying to fiqure out why I wouldn't just use the Total Eclipse on the vinyl a few times a month with a MF dusting in between.

Thanks again to DavidB

Added the last few lines after using it again and reflecting on how I would use it in my routine.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great review ubetit!
so, will the sonus products make it into your regular routine?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by wanabe,Aug 21 2005, 12:38 AM
great review ubetit!
so, will the sonus products make it into your regular routine?
I'm hoping that David will start selling Total Eclipse by the gallon. I'm stil trying to work the Cockpit Detailer into my routine.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:10 AM

Both the Total Eclipse and Cockpit Detailer worked well on my black interior.
It's been two weeks since I applied them, and the surfaces still look smooth and glossy, but not too shiny. It's holding up well.