S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Someone hit me

Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im an adjuster for a major insurance company, and that would definately warrant a new quarter panel, just too much damage, too much kinking and complex area damage. That job alone will take 16 hours to replace the qp, the quarter panel has to be cut out, then a new one is welded on. How many miles does your car have, and what year is it. Who is your insurance company. Like someone else mentioned already, your best bet is to hit your local area forums and get suggestions on a reputable body shop in your area. Any reputable body shop should be able to color match that easily, ive seen shops in my area that use a probe that takes a reading of each panel to calculate paint fade compared to factory paint codes, then the shops use this data to mix the right shade of paint. Pretty high tech stuff.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:39 PM
BNB

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,Jan 10 2006, 09:35 PM
Im an adjuster for a major insurance company, and that would definately warrant a new quarter panel, just too much damage, too much kinking and complex area damage. That job alone will take 16 hours to replace the qp, the quarter panel has to be cut out, then a new one is welded on. How many miles does your car have, and what year is it. Who is your insurance company. Like someone else mentioned already, your best bet is to hit your local area forums and get suggestions on a reputable body shop in your area. Any reputable body shop should be able to color match that easily, ive seen shops in my area that use a probe that takes a reading of each panel to calculate paint fade compared to factory paint codes, then the shops use this data to mix the right shade of paint. Pretty high tech stuff.
Car is an 03 with 17,500 miles. I have State Farm Insurance, and the other driver had American Family. I dropped the car off today and they re-assured it would look like new when I got her back.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:08 AM

Oh statefarm, your fine, they dont use aftermarket parts.
You dont have to worry anyways, no one makes aftermarket quarter panels for our vehicle. Only thing would be that the other insurance company might want to use a used quarter panel, which is no problem, its an oem part just off another S2000, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Its aftermarket you have to worry about.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:15 PM

Hope things turn out ok Bill. Could have been worse...
Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 PM

I work at a large collision repair shop in central IL, and pikkashoe is right on. Your quarter panel is too badly damaged for repair and will be replaced. It's a lot of labor hours to do a quarter and all the surrounding trim will have to be removed or loosened (bumper cover, splash shield, taillamp, inner trim panels, etc.) Don't know if the top would have to come off or not.

I don't own one of these babies yet, but I'm looking. Probl'y within the next month.

Color match shouldn't be a problem for a good shop, but metallics can sometimes give you fits. Go with a large shop with a good reputation. American Family has a good rep in this area and shouldn't fight you on a quality job.

Oh... and your comment about Bondo? It's not the evil stuff most people think it is. There's a slim chance your car came out of the factory with some in/on it. Factory panels are not alway perfect and are repaired as needed. We discover it in maybe 10% of the cars that come through our shop.

Good luck with your repair. It should come back to you as good as new.
-golfpro
Old 01-12-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel your pain. I hit a deer and got the hood, fender, and door. Silver is one of the hardest colors to match and blend. The paint job looked ok but I could tell were it was blended if you looked at it at certain angles and light. If you took the same paint and painted it on a different day it will have a different shade to it. Mine is an 02 with 20K. Since it's a garage queen, I'm going to have the whole car repainted. Good luck with yours. I know body shops talk a good game but talk is cheap. Everybody says don't accept it until your satisfied but insurance companys will only go so far.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:32 AM

u guys ever worry about if the car shop will ever jack your modded parts on your car?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:52 AM

I hope the shop doesn't take your parts. Thats why you look for reputable big shops that have a reputation to up hold.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:22 AM
BNB

She's back, and i'm pleased.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by BNB,Feb 9 2006, 12:22 PM
She's back, and i'm pleased.

wow! congrats! what did they do? Bondo it? How's the quality? Fitment? Costs??

Quick Reply: Someone hit me