S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Someone hit me

Old 01-08-2006, 09:41 PM
BNB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Someone hit me

So I was driving down the street minding my own damn buisness when I started to feel the rear end of my car get loose on me. I must be an idiot because I did'nt even feel the impact, I looked in my side mirror and noticed a delivery truck stuck on my rear fender.

I'm taking it to the shop tommorrow and wanted to know the procedure used to fixthe rear quarter panel. Is this panel able to be replaced? Do you guys think it's an easy job?
I do soooo much to keep my car pristine, just for this to happen. Sorry the pics are so big.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:52 PM

I'm no body shop person. So, I can't really tell you if this is an "easy" repair or not. However, I can tell you as a person who has owned several silver cars that silver is a very, very difficult color to match correctly. Make sure you take it to a reputable shop or the re-paint will stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
BNB

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Jan 9 2006, 12:52 AM
I'm no body shop person. So, I can't really tell you if this is an "easy" repair or not. However, I can tell you as a person who has owned several silver cars that silver is a very, very difficult color to match correctly. Make sure you take it to a reputable shop or the re-paint will stick out like a sore thumb.
It's going to Honda.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by BNB,Jan 8 2006, 10:55 PM
It's going to Honda.
Don't jump to the conclusion that because you're bringing it to the dealership's body shop that they know what they're doing. There are just as many inept dealership body shop technicians as there are independent ones.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had work done similar.. to both my silverstone and my SPA..

it sux, but any reputable bodyshop won't consider it a biggie..

a good top notch bodyshop will be able to replace that panel as banging it back out seems too much. They should be able to assess for any rear frame damage as they did with mine and match the paint quite easily.
I wouldn't worry about painting matching with silverstone, its SPA that's the tough one..

again, if cheap out, you'll get what you pay for.. and i agree that not Honda dealerships are able to handle this. Most Honda dealerships in my area, send body work out to a 3rd party collision centre.

good luck with it..

Old 01-09-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

That's not an "easy" fix in the traditional sense of a simple panel replacement.

An experienced shop can and will do a good job, but it involves cutting and welding in a new rear quarter panel at least - those creases are not coming out, especially on the top edge.

I would expect the car to be down for at least 3-4 weeks.

Find a good body shop recommendation in your regional/local forum first. Inspect the final work VERY carefully - look for texture in the paintjob, texture UNDER the clearcoat, paint seams, color blending and matching, overspray (above and under the car), proper fitment of panels and trim. Look at it under full sunlight and artificial lighting if at all possible.

If anything does not meet with your approval, have them fix it.

Keep on them and make sure Mr. Delivery Moron pays for everything, including a decent rental.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Former Moderator

They'll want to pound and fill that dent before they go replacing that panel... fight it all the way.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Jan 9 2006, 01:34 PM
They'll want to pound and fill that dent before they go replacing that panel... fight it all the way.
Not if they're smart they won't . The bends around the fuel door (top left , right , and lower right) alone won't allow it . That's where the little "box" that your fuel filler neck lives in is joined to the panel . There's also alot of interior metal behind that area . That , my friends , is a quarter that will have to be removed and replaced . Specify OEM parts for the repair , and inspect it like nobody's business before you accept it . My Silverstone goes under the knife on Monday for some door repairs - you can bet I'll be scanning the colormatch like a hawk . Good luck brother , I feel your pain .

Oh , and about the colormatch - look at your second pic compared to the rest . THAT is exactly what you'll want to look for . See how the second pic has a "greenish" hue to it ? It may be just your camera , but it's an accurate portrayal of what silverstone looks like in different light/angles . That greenish hue will stand out more if the color isn't matched well . All silverstone will have it , it just depends on how it's mixed and applied (up/down or side/side spray pattern) . Of course , that panel is all the same paint , it just shows perfectly (coincidentally) what the variance is from different perspectives regarding silverstone metallic . Hope this helps you .
Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 AM
BNB

Originally Posted by jski7,Jan 10 2006, 10:20 AM
Not if they're smart they won't . The bends around the fuel door (top left , right , and lower right) alone won't allow it . That's where the little "box" that your fuel filler neck lives in is joined to the panel . There's also alot of interior metal behind that area . That , my friends , is a quarter that will have to be removed and replaced . Specify OEM parts for the repair , and inspect it like nobody's business before you accept it . My Silverstone goes under the knife on Monday for some door repairs - you can bet I'll be scanning the colormatch like a hawk . Good luck brother , I feel your pain .

Oh , and about the colormatch - look at your second pic compared to the rest . THAT is exactly what you'll want to look for . See how the second pic has a "greenish" hue to it ? It may be just your camera , but it's an accurate portrayal of what silverstone looks like in different light/angles . That greenish hue will stand out more if the color isn't matched well . All silverstone will have it , it just depends on how it's mixed and applied (up/down or side/side spray pattern) . Of course , that panel is all the same paint , it just shows perfectly (coincidentally) what the variance is from different perspectives regarding silverstone metallic . Hope this helps you .
The car is actually Sebring Silver. That difference in light you see is from an LED spotlight that I had used in my gargae to show the damage. I have found a pretty reputable shop in my area that will do the work. The rear panel will have to be replaced altogether, there will be absoultely no Bondo on my car. That is not acceptable for an S2000.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:36 AM

Well damn , it sure looked like silverstone ! Guess I coulda checked your sig. ! But anyways , even being caused by the light , a variance in silver should look like that . I'm not sure what sebring will look like variation-wise , but it should have some change in hue . But hey , at least now you know EXACTLY what silverstone will look like ! Wow , I'm an idiot ..... good luck !

Quick Reply: Someone hit me