S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Soft top care

Old 04-07-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks MikeyC and usace. I appreciate your input. I have read many things on this site and many are "opinions" rather than facts.

Thanks again,
Old 04-21-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'm getting ready to order some 303 or RaggTopp protectant for the soft top. Also want to order some good carnauba wax, but see a wide spread of prices for diff brands. Wondering what you're all using, and whether it's really worth an extra $50 for a top grade carnauba.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by oldtrlrnr,Apr 21 2006, 05:29 PM
Wondering what you're all using, and whether it's really worth an extra $50 for a top grade carnauba.
Whether it's "worth it" is really a question no one can answer for you. You'll have to figure that out for yourself, because the differences are subtle. People who are not very particular about their car wouldn't be able to tell much difference between a $6500 wax and a $6 wax.

When considering which wax to buy you have to consider what your goals are and how much time you're willing to put in. The more expensive waxes tend to last less time than some of the cheaper waxes. Sounds strange I know, but most expensive waxes are what I would call "beauty waxes" and are designed to maximize look with little thought toward durability. If the wax is less durable that means you'll have to apply it more often.

There's also the question of carnauba wax vs. paint sealants. Sealants last much longer than most waxes, but IMO do not give as pleasing a finish as wax does.

If you can give me an idea of what your goals are (i.e. how shiney do you want it and how much time are you willing to put in?), then I could be of more assistance by giving a couple of product suggestions.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Well I need to be realistic - I want to keep my new S2000 looking nice, but don't have a ton of time, due to my job. In fact part of the rationale for getting a new car was that my job demands aren't compatible with working on my car every weekend.

I've been reading about car care products, and there seems to be a lot of hype and little objective info. One site talks about the differences between paint sealers and waxes, and suggests that a good combo is wax coat over paint sealer coat. Sounds good, but I don't know whether it's real or they're just trying to sell more product. Also trying to evaluate diff waxes. Apparently waxes containing carnauba are best, but I haven't been able to find out % of it in various brands. I found a bottle of Z-Best car wax that my daughter bought at the auto show last year. Wonder if it's a good one or I should buy a better one with my protectant order.

Realistically I expect to wash my car every other weekend at best, though I have been wiping my wheels with a dry towel more frequently.

I have a bottle of Meguiar's spray leather treatment that I plan to use on my seats as well as on wife's Pilot leather seats, unless I hear anything negative about such products.

I've always spent more effort on mechanical maintenance than appearance, but now with first new car in 30 years, I'm motivated to keep it nice, but need to learn how to do it right without going crazy.

Appreciate any advice.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by s2ksimon,Apr 6 2006, 06:35 PM
Porsche Tequipment
You buy this at the Porsche dealership i imagine?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldtrlrnr,Apr 22 2006, 06:56 PM
Well I need to be realistic - I want to keep my new S2000 looking nice, but don't have a ton of time, due to my job. In fact part of the rationale for getting a new car was that my job demands aren't compatible with working on my car every weekend.

Realistically I expect to wash my car every other weekend at best, though I have been wiping my wheels with a dry towel more frequently.
Well, I have to first that you're approaching this in the right way. Unfortunately, there really are no objective measures when it comes to detailing only subjective. So, when you ask 10 different people the same question you're likely to get 10 different answers.

OK now on to some car care advice . . .

First, STOP WIPING YOUR WHEELS WITH A DRY TOWEL!!!! Sorry for yelling. Your wheels are painted just like the rest of your car. Dry wiping paint will scratch the surface especially if there is dirt on the paint. Paint is not as damage resistant as the general public would like to believe.

Now onto what I think you should do . . .

First thing is read the car care guide at bettercarcare.com. I think there's a sticky with a link to it at the top of this forum page. On to some other recommendations. This is what I think based on the fact that you want your car to look good and only have a little time to spend making it that way.

Get a PC, some good polishes, pads, and a high quality paint sealant. If you use proper washing technique you should only need to polish your car once or twice a year to keep it looking awesome. Also, if you use a high quality paint sealant then you won't have to protect the finish more than 4 times a year or so. Klasse paint sealant has a good reputation for shine & durability. You may want to give that a go.

Definitely read the car care guide though. It will give you a good idea of what products you need. Then all you have to do is pick which brands you want to buy. Most of the brands you read about here, on Autopia, and on Detail City are all great brands and you would I'm sure be pretty happy with any of them.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:34 PM

Oops! Thanks for the warning on dry-wiping. Too bad, it seemed like a quick way to keep car looking good between washes. But see the downside and won't do that anymore.

>>PC<<

???

I will read the guide on bettercarcare.com.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:55 PM

I don't dry wipe. I used to use a leaf blower Now I either blot (before wax) or just drive the car for 10 mins (if not planning to wax) ...
Old 06-03-2006, 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=Ks320,Jun 3 2006, 07:55 PM] I don't dry wipe.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem (at least around here) with driving the car to "air dry" it is that the wet tires grab all the dust and dirt off the road and fling it back onto the sides of the car as light mud.

Quick Reply: Soft top care