S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Soap?

Old 05-29-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soap?

Time to get new soap, what do you guys recommend. I have been using Meguiars NXT, but it seems to strip my Zaino off.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I doubt it actually does strip your Zaino, but it IS a strong soap from most reports. It may just change the way the water flows on the car.

I've been using a gallon jug worth of Zymol car wash (picked up at Costco, I believe). A lot of folks use Meg's Gold Class and are happy with it. Also Poorboy's car wash soap is popular. I just picked up 64oz of Duragloss soap ($4.95 shipping w/2 bottles of AquaWax!) and like it well enough. TBH, I've never noticed a ton of difference in car wash soaps.

Or check out these threads at Autopia (or search for others over there):
Looking for a wash that keeps the slickness...
Shampoo/Wash Recommendations
Old 05-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Thanks

I went with Top of the Line Bubble Bath, lets see how it goes.

I did read in those threads a couple times people complaining about NXT stripping wax off, but Zaino is a synthetic, I have a feeling it does strip it off too after a while.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:44 PM

I've got a bottle of Zaino and Sonus. I prefer the Zaino wash compared to Sonus. The Sonus suds up in the bucket but the suds don't transfer from the mitt to the car very well. I look forward to comparing antoher product once one of these bottles runs out.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another gold class fan here
Old 05-30-2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by yyyiiikes,May 29 2006, 10:44 PM
I've got a bottle of Zaino and Sonus. I prefer the Zaino wash compared to Sonus. The Sonus suds up in the bucket but the suds don't transfer from the mitt to the car very well. I look forward to comparing antoher product once one of these bottles runs out.
A lot of people get the wrong idea when it comes to suds. Suds in fact have nothing to do with cleaning. If you ever use a "rinseless wash" soap you'll find that they don't suds at all, but do clean just as well as a regular wash soap.

One of the most important qualities a soap can have is how much viscocity it adds to the wash water. The more slippery the wash solution is the less chance you'll get marring from washing your car. Another thing I look for is how concentrated the wash soap is (i.e. how much of the soap does it take to get a certain level of "slipperyness"). A better soap IMO is one that is more concentrated because then I can use less of it.

Right now, my favorite soap is Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds. At $12-$15 the PB's is a little expensive compared to say Megs Gold Class which is around $9-$10 for the same 32 oz. size. The PB's makes the wash solution REALLY slippery though. Plus, it smells pleasant (kind of orange-y). It only takes about 1 oz. of PB's per gallon of water to make a super slippery wash solution.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 AM

My Meg's Gold Class smelled like Dawn/Palmolive dish soap... Am I the only one? I got suspicious only because the seal was broken (only noticing weeks after purchase) when I went to wash my old Si...
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 PM

I've been using Blue Coral wash/wax soap, it's cheap and it works pretty good, but I found some Eagle One wash soap. So, I'm going to try that next.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

AutoGlym bodywork shampoo conditioner.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 PM

have been using Megs NXT. Will probably try a different kind when this bottle is done.

Quick Reply: Soap?