S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

"smudges" - front end of black car- what are they?

Old 10-08-2002, 02:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Albert
Mine's black too, but I also garage it... plus, it's only 5 months young.

Is it visible enough to take a picture of?
dont know, but i can try...
good suggestion- will take a few days, if it works, to get the photos up here. let me first see if i can photo them-
Old 10-09-2002, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im guessing its bugs
Old 10-10-2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by sumir brahmbhatt
im guessing its bugs
good guess, but too big for bugs... and bugs usually leave pieces of themselves!
these are in the finish- (like clouds on the finish)
and i cant get a photograph of them either!
(like ghosts- they dont photograph!)
will try to clay them in the next couple of weeks to see if i can get rid of them that way.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:06 PM

Wanabe, I know you don't follow others cars closely enough for this to happen, but I have to throw it out anyway.... could it be silicone splattering from something like tire dressing coming off of a car in front of you?
Old 10-13-2002, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Albert
Wanabe, I know you don't follow others cars closely enough for this to happen, but I have to throw it out anyway.... could it be silicone splattering from something like tire dressing coming off of a car in front of you?
interesting thought...
the blotches are too "thin" i think, to be silicone.
silicone usually "stands up" on a surface.
this is more like a haze in the finish.
didnt have a chance to work on the car this weekend, but will clay the front end next weekend to see if it removes these spots for good.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:53 PM

ah... hmmm...

So these spots, I take it that they definitely are not as glossy as other parts of the paint right?

I think at this point, the most important thing is to figure out if these spots keep coming back in the exact same place. If so, there might be some paint finish issues to look into.

Do you find that these spots are only on the bumper/fiberglass parts, or also on the metal parts of the car like the hood or fenders?

Also, do you use any sort of abrasive polishes, swirl removers, etc. on a regular basis?
Old 10-15-2002, 03:44 PM

good question as to whether they reappear in the same place... i will try to notice next time i wash it-
they are all on the front end of the hood- have not noticed them on any plastic surface (front bumper).
have not yet used any polishes or swirl removers, but after 2 years will be removing swirls in the next couple of months (still not really bad). only use wash, and finish first or zaino (once in a while i use a detailers spray). all products are used on the entire car.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:49 PM

ok cool, good to hear that you don't use abrasives. From what I understand, repeatative use of these can lead slowly wearing away the clear coat (read that somewhere on Autopia).
Old 10-21-2002, 08:14 AM

o.k.- have washed the car, buffed it with a microfiber, and noticed that in most light the "blotches" are not visible. however, in the office garage (florescent lights) i can see them all over the front of the hood, and have also noticed that most are small (dime size or so). i also dont think that they would show up on most other colors of the car- only on black.
i am now leaning more towards the "gasoline stains in the zaino from following cars, such as s.u.v.s" theory as the explanation for these spots- sure would be nice to hear from someone else who has experienced them though...
i guess i should search for the proper treatment of such stains on a detailers site to see if there are any suggestions.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:49 AM

do you use a machine to apply the wax/Zaino? If so, I have noticed that on a previous car (that I used a machine to apply wax) it would reflect light differently than by hand - it left more of a circular pattern to it - kind of hard to describe sorry. Do the blotches move was you move your vision?

Quick Reply: "smudges" - front end of black car- what are they?