S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Small scratches- thanks dealer...

Old 10-24-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small scratches- thanks dealer...

I brought my car by the dealer today to have the oil changed and the speaker looked at, when on the way I got nailed by some seriously acidic bird droppings...No big deal I thought, I'd wash it off when I got back to the office. I keep some detail supplies in the desk. I make sure to tell the dealer not to wash the car and go on my way...

When the kid brings my car around, I am pleasantly surprised- the car is not washed. However the kid notices the bird crap and before I could stop him is scrubbing at it with a dirty terry towel and some sort of spray. Needless to say, there are some swirly scratches from where he was grinding with that GD towel. I tried to buff it out with some wax, but that didn't get it all the way out.

I haven't clayed yet, the car is only 7 weeks old, is this something that will come when claying? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris
Old 10-24-2005, 11:35 PM

Take it back to the dealership & talk to the service manager. If they damaged it, they have to fix it.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you got a berlina, you might as well start your collection of polishes and sealers and MOST IMPORTANTLY get a porter cable! Hard color to maintain, but when cared for, gets the most glass depth of any color. Never trust anyone to care for your paint more than you will...
Old 10-25-2005, 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=DaPutster,Oct 24 2005, 11:35 PM] Take it back to the dealership & talk to the service manager.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Oct 25 2005, 06:32 AM
I would absolutey NOT bring your car back to the dealership. Normally I would say if they broke something that they should fix it, but when it comes to paint care 99% of all dealerships are inept. So, they would likely make things worse rather than better. I agree with the post that suggests to you to get a PC and some polishes, etc. You'll need them anyway for your black car. This just makes a convenient excuse to get started.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge...But would someone explain to me what a porter cable is. I searched it on this site to no avail, and on Google, but only found the company. What exactly is it? Like a buffer? Is it something a novice like me could work? Thetz99, I saw the work you did on your car- very nice, but I am hesitant to do anything that could make this worse myself. The scratches are not very deep, and is something that this PC would get out, is that something a detail shop might offer?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 AM

A porter cable is a random orbit buffer, because it is random orbit it makes it really hard to F-up your paint. When you think "buffer" you probably are thinking about a rotary buffer which can REALLY F-up your paint if you don't know what you're doing. You can pick up a Porter Cable at Lowes for $99 like I did. However, you can take your car to a good detailer and they will likely be able to remove these scratches (although I make no guarantees having not seen the scratches). However, if you want to take your car to a good detailer it will likely cost $100+ each time. If you buy a Porter Cable (PC) and some polishes etc. it will cost you much less in the long term, because you will be able to detail it yourself. A black car is a lot of work to keep looking nice and the detailer bills would really add up. You seem to be really particular so I would think you would want your car looking really nice all the time.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 AM

The stickied post at the top of this forum "Detailing How-to Links" has a lot of info on the PC. The first few links in there should tell you everything you need to know.

Detailing How-to Links

It really is a great tool and easy to use.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:12 AM

A clay bar will not remove scratches. If it's only a small area you could probably buff it out by hand using a moderate abrasive polish. If you're "into" putting some serious time into your cars to keep them looking mint, investing into a Porter-Cable and the necessary pads and polishes will set you back about $200. But if you truly care it's worth the investment