S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Small Scratch in Clearcoat

Old 07-17-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Scratch in Clearcoat

I have just purchased a 2003 Suzuka Blue honda s2000. I noticed a week later, after having washed it, that it has a fine lined scratch in the clearcoat on the front quarter panel near the headlight. It only shows in certain lighting, or if you are up close, it will show. I think it was on the car when I bought it.
Anyone have an idea of what kind of product I can use for it, without damaging the clearcoat any further or risking damaging it any worst.
thanks for your time.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at this web site, it will answer your questions Classic Motoring Accessories

Have fun,
Bob
Old 07-17-2003, 10:25 PM

Bob,
Thank you for the advice, it looks like I will be going down to the autoparts store and purchasing some scratch x. Hopefully it will do the trick. Thanks for the info on the really cool site.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

moonsurfer... go easier on that scratch x. it will take down the clear coat where you use it (still not a bad choice).
boiler and i agree on the properautocare site- great info and support.
your scratch might be a good excuse to pick up a porter cable (if you dont already have one). prob my favorite tool-
more choices (with the pc):

http://properautocare.com/witporcabpol.html
Old 07-18-2003, 07:55 AM

Like wanabe said, go easy on the Scratch X. A guy over at NSXPrime.com hazed up his finish pretty badly. I would try it on your other car first if you have one. I would highly recommend you go with a lighter polish if the scratch is as faint as it sounds. 3M makes a few that you may be able to find locally. I carry the einszett line and from that I would recommend the Metallic PolishWax.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moonsurfer
[B]Bob,
Thank you for the advice, it looks like I will be going down to the autoparts store and purchasing some scratch x.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:24 PM

Thank you guys for all the great info...especially on the scratch x. I am a little nervous about damaging the beautiful clear coat, but the scratch bothers me just a little. It appears slightly darker than the paint in the garage, but when i get the car into the sunlight, it looks white, so I dont know if it is down to the paint or just in the clearcoat. The scratch is long, but very narrow, and I cannot really feel it with my fingernail. I am guessing that it is in the clear, so if anyone has had one like that, maybe you can offer me some advice on whether or not a polish is safe.
Thanks a lot
Jeremy
Old 07-18-2003, 07:54 PM

jeremy- polishes are safe... but they do eat clearcoat!!
i like boiler's idea of first trying a swirl remover (actually i came back to this post to suggest that- boiler and i think a lot alike!)- the swirl remover will take down some clear too, but i think it is a less aggressive first step. worst case, if the swirl remover does not work, then you can try a compound like nin009 is suggesting.

the idea is to take the edges of the scratch out first. that will keep the light from reflecting inside the scratch, so that it will not be visible. the only way to get a scratch out completely is to take down the clear and paint to the bottom of the scratch (usually not necessary).
Old 07-19-2003, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

zaino z5 is ok too
Old 07-19-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by beroznikmal
zaino z5 is ok too
absolutely! as long as you are aware that z5 is a swirl cover not a swirl remover... the swirl will be back in a few weeks after applying the z5. but it is still a good solution for many. i prefer to use swirl covers until i have enough swirls to do a full removal.

Quick Reply: Small Scratch in Clearcoat