S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Should I wax after sealant

Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I wax after sealant

Ive never used a sealant before. This saturday I plan to do the following.

wash
3m rubbing compound in a few spots
carpro trix
sonus clay bar and lube
sonus sfx4 sealant

I would like to use Meguires hitech yellow wax after the sealant. Is that ok?

I also just purchased a 6 inch orbital buffer. Would that be ok to use to buff the car after?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

not familiar with the products you are using but I always use a carnauba after a sealant. Adds a little bit of extra "just detailed" look,...you are suppose to wait 24 hours though to layer products for them to bond to the paint though
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember to clay BEFORE you do any compounding. Be careful of how much "spot" compounding you do. If you do it properly, you're going going to remove defects and have shiny spots surrounded by a dull finish. Also, keep in mind that the S2000 paint is VERY soft, so you may not even need the compound and if used improperly, will actually make the paint look worse. Read up on the detailing process before you start.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I have thought about putting some wax over my sealant, it should add some extra depth and shine that you can't always get from sealants.

Be careful with that orbital machine, they can cause damage in the hands of inexperienced operators.

I would not use the machine to buff the car at the end of the process, they work best for polishing, you don't need to buff a car anymore once the top coat of sealant and wax is applied, you will just do more harm than good.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

I have been toying with the idea of adding some wax over my sealant. I use Meguair's 2.0 sealant which has a great depth and shine. For mximum shine and depth after I wash or water less car wash the car I use Griot's speed shine, and follow it up with a top coat of Zaino Grande Finale Spray. The finish is unreal!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
not familiar with the products you are using but I always use a carnauba after a sealant. Adds a little bit of extra "just detailed" look,...you are suppose to wait 24 hours though to layer products for them to bond to the paint though
its very difficult so keep a car clean after 24 hours to apply a coat of wax after sealant, the avg time frame is about 3 hours after the sealant should have bonded with the paint.

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
sealant
wax(optional)
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by psynx
Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1366088124' post='22476502
its very difficult so keep a car clean after 24 hours to apply a coat of wax after sealant, the avg time frame is about 3 hours after the sealant should have bonded with the paint.

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
sealant
wax(optional)
It is easy to re wash or rinse. I have been detailing a long time so take that how you will.......12 hours bond time minimum
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by psynx' timestamp='1366239985' post='22481166
[quote name='sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1366088124' post='22476502']

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
sealant
wax(optional)
It is easy to re wash or rinse. I have been detailing a long time so take that how you will.......12 hours bond time minimum
[/quote]

That picture is sick, damn sweet job on that paint bud !. Do you have a link to more pictures ?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by poop-dog
Ive never used a sealant before. This saturday I plan to do the following.

wash
3m rubbing compound in a few spots
carpro trix
sonus clay bar and lube
sonus sfx4 sealant

I would like to use Meguires hitech yellow wax after the sealant. Is that ok?

I also just purchased a 6 inch orbital buffer. Would that be ok to use to buff the car after?

Thanks
a little crazy but this is the steps I use:

light wax removing soap for the wash,
lubricant and clay,
tape and mask off cracks and rubber trims, (cover the soft top cuz getting polish of it is a bitch!)
first stage polish: swirl removal,
ISP mix to remove dust and excess polish,
Second stage: fine polish,
ISP mix to remove dust and excess polish,
apply sealant,
wait 8-10 ( I just do 12hrs just be safe)
Apply carnuba wax
Voila! crack open a cold one and stare for 20-30 mins unaware of the time going by.

I find that with sealants it give the paint a more candy coated look compared to the depth and warm a carnuba wax gives off. But yes adding on a wax shouldn't be an issue. You must wait till the sealant dries and cures before you applying the wax.

Which orbital buffer are you using? Depending on which one in some cases for a PC I find that a 6 inch pad is just to much for the polisher to spin up. I noticed that when you try to polish the pad doesn't move if you put too much pressure down. So use a sharpie to mark the backing plate so you can see whether the pad is spinning or not. Otherwise your just giving it a massage. So for that a 5 inch would be perfect. Unless if your using a FLEX or Makita then that should be ok.

You can use the machine to buff but make sure you switch to a finer dressing pad or wax pad. And use a lower speed. Most of the time the pad is either black or dark blue. Personal preference. I just use a wax applicator pad.

Sorry If I went to far in depth lol
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by psynx' timestamp='1366239985' post='22481166
[quote name='sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1366088124' post='22476502']

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
sealant
wax(optional)
[/quote]
re rinsing wont remove the dust or dirt, also re washing it depending on the soap, may have gloss enhancers, wax etc might affect with the way the wax bonds with the sealant. Im sure for people that dont "detail" will probably just pick up some megs ultimate wash and wax, mothers etc.
of course im not gonna question your skill or length of detailing im sure your good (great reflection shot btw) ever see white this good?

Quick Reply: Should I wax after sealant