S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Shotgun Fungus?!

Old 02-12-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dolebludger' date='Feb 12 2005, 02:01 AM
For God's sake, don't wash your car with "Dawn!" That stuff will damage your clearcoat! It's nasty for cars, but great for dishes.
Dude I can't belive you just said that! Dawn WILL NOT HARM CLEARCOAT! As a matter of fact it is the #1 recommended soap to prep your car with!

HOW ABOUT WE DON'T SPREAD FALSE RUMORS!

You don't use it after you've waxed a car but you use it to prep the car for cleaning/claying compounding/polishing Waxing.

The reason is that it will remove all built up waxes and oils! Then you say use rubbing alcohol in the same breath. UGH. The wd-40 wasn't to be used as a lubricant for the clay bar it was to be used to remove the spot. Petroleum products are great on spots but like the dawn they remove polishes and oils. Just like alcohol but better.

You use dawn to prep the surface then you use a clay bar with a lubricant then you compond any heavy scratches then you move to a lighter compound then polish then you can glaze and wax. I recommend along with what seems like the vast majority of car cleaning freaks the whole ZAINO kit which is made by people who understand cars paint and clearcoat a whole lot better than most people on this site. Oh and they recommend DAWN!
Old 02-12-2005, 10:27 AM

FACTS NOT MADE UP $HIT!

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...ode=APPLICATION

3. I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint. Just use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and wax free.

I don't advise making a habit of washing your car with Dawn. But for this scenario it's fine. High alkaline products like Dawn are tough on polishes. It will never harm the paint finish though. A car wash is made specifically to clean without removing durable polishes. ALSO, Make sure you remove any water spots, before you apply my products. Because Zaino has no abrasives or harsh solvents it will not remove water spots or stains. Z-18 ClayBar is great for removing any paint surface contaminants. Re-wash the entire vehicle with Z-7 Car Wash immediately after the ClayBar
Cleaning Process.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel' date='Feb 12 2005, 07:19 PM
Dude I can't belive you just said that! Dawn WILL NOT HARM CLEARCOAT! As a matter of fact it is the #1 recommended soap to prep your car with!

HOW ABOUT WE DON'T SPREAD FALSE RUMORS!
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black ..... Don't accuse anyone of spreading false rumors and then turn around and do exactly the same thing! "As a matter of fact it is the #1 recommended soap to prep your car with!" .... Get real! It is recommend by Zaino (fact) but to make claims like it is the #1 recommended (which infers general consensus by many)you better be able to back it up.

I am not going to get into the argument about whether you should or should not use dawn. However, there are other other methods that seem to be more accepted on sites like Autopia than using Dawn.

Personally I do not believe it harms the clearcoat when used as a prep as long as you make sure it is rinsed off good and your follow-up with a god sealant, but this is true of any harsh cleaner (e.g. bug remover) you put on your vehicle. But this is by opinion, not a fact based on testing.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:34 AM

"As a matter of fact it is the #1 recommended soap to prep your car with!" .... Get real! It is recommend by Zaino (fact) but to make claims like it is the #1 recommended (which infers general consensus by many)you better be able to back it up.
HE HE How many websites do you need me to show you?

You point out Autopia!

That's a great site for you to do some research on the subject Do a search! and read their first e-book.

Dawns in there as the prep wash.

Actually so I dont get $hit for it he says any dishsoap the doesn't have a moisterizer will work (because your trying to take all the oils off your car not add any)but that he uses Dawn as an example.

I don't know that if you got every single professional in a room they wouldn't recommend palmolive over Dawn and I've seen a recommendation for the use of ivory bar soap but I've seen Dawn as a prep wash by most of the books/experts at autopia and on this board.

I've used it as well.

So Maybe #1 isn't correct but until you get every expert together and take a poll then so far as my sample size goes dawn is the #1 prep soap!

They even use it at some body shops (mopperts)!

Old 02-13-2005, 07:49 AM

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=26&c=16

THE PERFECT SHINE?
The Perfect Shine? is a simple process that reliably achieves the best shine possible on any paint finish. Follow these steps and product recommendations:

Wash your car twice with a high concentration of car wash solution. I recommend 1Z Perls Shampoo. If your car is excessively dirty, you can use Dawn dish-washing liquid. If you do, be sure to rinse thoroughly.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:13 AM

That's a great site for you to do some research on the subjectDo a search! and read their first e-book.
I tried to find the e-book link to prove to you just how often Dawn IS recommende. Come to find out they are on to version 3.0 now. I have the original. Some egg on my face here. They are now recommending Sonis prewax wash. This is because they are now selling Sonis on their site. Originally I believe they said Dawn. My guess Sonis is just like dawn and does the same thing. Everyone says to rince well and to only use it as a prewash which is what I've been saying from the start.

Now to help the original poster.

Go here and download Autopias e-book tells you everything you need to know about cleaning anything you need to clean off your car.

http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html
Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 AM

by blkZ28Conv on autpia
As a side note, I guess I also should save my vinegar (water spots) for my salads, Bon Ami (great glass cleaner/polisher for the kitchen porcelain, oil (glazes, and carnauba) for my crankcase and salads again, Woolite for my delicate clothing .All these items have expanded usages for vehicle maintenance and corresponding automotive specific products are also available. Nevertheless we still use them in appropriate situations with great results.
I understand that Dawn and other stripping products are like Kryptonite (misspell??) to glaze and filler users. This product will/has humbled me with what it will expose of the true condition of one painted finish when all the goo is gone.

I thought we killed this Dawn myth awhile back.
will expose of the true condition of one painted finish when all the goo is gone

This is the point of using the Dawn wash. To remove everything you can with a wash, then you hit it with the claybar and bamn your paint is clean.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:50 AM

I must apologize, I was in a testy mood when I posted.

From my observations, Dawn washing and Zaino posts seem to to lead to / end up as hotly debated topics on many web sites. My main point is: I believe we should limit our responses to personal experience or quotes from other sources that we can lead folks to to make informed decisions. Over reaching generalizations like: "Zaino is the best, ask anyone; Dawn hurts clear-coats; Dawn is the #1 reccommended", leads to misinformation and flame wars.

I know a number of folks (including me) that have used dawn without any ill effects. I also have read a number of posts / articles where Dawn would never even be considered and peple would use / reccommend products like AIO or Sonus for prep.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:05 AM

Absolutely! The use of dawn is a highly debated topic on autopia. I don't know if Zaino is the best but those that use it always seems so thrilled with the outcome that they take a very strong stance against the traditionalist wax and of course the traditionalist try to hang on to well tradition. I'm 100% sure either method produces a great finish. Which one gives you the better value for your time/money is the real debate. In my opinion traditional methods lead to a better gloss that doesn't last as long. While the modern methods lack the depth but protect better. There's a happy middle ground typically by slapping high quality wax over the modern finishing techniques. None-the-less no apologie needed you were stating your opinion and me mine. I think from polls at autopia that Dawn is used as a prep wash ~17% of the time which is greater than any one single product share as a prep but that doesn't make a consensus!

Have a great day!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excuse me! The matter of whether Dawn is or is not OK to use on car finish is obviously a matter of some disagreement. I did not intend to spread any false rumors. But I have been repeatedly warned against using Dawn or other dishwashing detergent both on this board and on the Mercedes Benz Club of America Board. Actually, I found that Dawn is the most effective wheel cleaner at removing all the "wheel crud", but have been advised not to use it on clear coated wheels --- or the car finish.

However, I freely admit to the possibility that I have been told wrong. Would like to hear more on this topic.

Thanks,
Richard

Quick Reply: Shotgun Fungus?!