S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Shotgun Fungus?!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Shotgun Fungus?!

(I posted this in S2000 talk as well, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post here as well)

Hey guys,
Weather was nice here in Chicago over the weekend, and I so I decided to get my car washed and waxed for the first time (I bought the car about two months ago, and it has never been warm enough for me to do this).

As I was washing, I noticed lots of these really tiny little black spots all over my car (literally, I'd say hundreds, if not thousands of them, especially over the trunk and hood) that wouldn't wash off. I even tried using my bottle of P21S citrus degreaser, thinking the black spots were tar, but they wouldn't budge.

So I did a google search back home, and this is what I found:
http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/dontwa...y/208411cb.html

The article suggests removing the black spots with "scratch and haze removers," but I'm not sure that I like the idea of using those when the car is so new.

Also if I do get this removed, any idea how I should prevent recurrence? I guess once the car is waxed, the spores would stick to the wax rather than the paint, and it should be less of a problem. I'm contemplating a car cover, but that seems like a rather silly idea considering the car is garaged.

I tried looking around the garage this morning, and couldn't even find the source of the bloody fungus.

Has anyone else here had similar problems? Do you know a good solution to the problem? I'm pretty upset about this...
Old 02-07-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about. The only thing I've found to work is using your nail. Not really sure what they are. We only get them on the cars outside the garage.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 AM

just a thought. you might get better advice. but you should try using a clay bar. i've used it before. takes out every bit of debris. try a search. don't know if a car cover will help. anyways good luck with it.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:36 AM

Nails?

Actually I should have mentioned that my garage isn't completely covered. It's kind of hard to describe, but picture an enclosure with the roof of the middle portion missing. My car happens to be parked right at the edge of the covered portion.

I've been reading more about this bloody fungus, and apparently it's sensitive to light (i.e., it likes white cars...)
Old 02-07-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dozen5' date='Feb 7 2005, 01:34 PM
just a thought. you might get better advice. but you should try using a clay bar. i've used it before. takes out every bit of debris. try a search. don't know if a car cover will help. anyways good luck with it.
Yeah, I might do that, but I see that as a last resort, since my understanding is that clay bars are abrasive, and I try to avoid them as much as possible (especially on new cars...).

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:54 AM

abrasive is such a harsh word for clay. pardon the pun. i clayed mine 3 months after i got my car. it kinda refreshens the surface of the car. just wax it after. it only costs around $15. you'll be amazed. it won't only take off those fungi but probably some other embedded dirt in your clearcoat. that's my 4 cents.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, it is my understanding that clay bar isn't abrasive. I'm also a member of Mercedes Benz Club of America and our local Section. Both our "Section Tech" and those posting on the MBCA board recommend using clay bar as an ALTERNATIVE to abrasives. As I understand it, a clay bar can become a bit abrasive if not turned frequently, due to the particles it picks up. Also, it is important to not skimp on the "lubricant" applied to the paint before using clay bar. But if used correctly, it shouldn't be abrasive.

That being said, if I had your problem I would first check with a premium body shop for advice. The odds of a clay bar actually removing 100% of all microscopic fungus spores are pretty low. If some spores remain, the stuff will grow back. The cure for such problems on houses, decks, and such is application of a chemical containing bleach. I would never recommend this stuff for a car, but surely there is a "car friendly" chemical kill for this.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-07-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PeaceLove&S2K' date='Feb 7 2005, 11:36 AM
Nails?
HAHA i don't get the spots on my S. Only on the beaters.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

clay should do it..
and if not, try wd40...
if you have to use wd40, wash the area and rewax afterwards.
and let us know how it went-
believe it or not, its great on stubborn stains!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:48 AM

make sure you use soap and water with the clay bar and it won't scratch it. Also, any scratches in the clear coat can easily be removed with a mild hand polish.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Fungus?!