S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Shipping my Berlina overseas

Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping my Berlina overseas

I'm moving from Hawaii to NC in about a month and will be shipping my Berlina Black S2000 at that time. I just put a fresh coat of Lusso Oro on and Ragg Topped the top. I've tried and tried to get the car put in a container, but it appears that's not going to happen. It's going to be in transit for about 45 days in some VERY salty conditions. Even after I pick it up, it's going to be another couple weeks at least before my detailing supplies arrive. Anybody have any ideas on stuff that should be done before I ship it? I'm not excited about this.

Oh, my HREs are getting shipped seperately. There's no way in hell I'm leaving those on the car.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would put it in the honda cover and then a weatherproof one over that... strange that the car isnt gonna be inside a container.

the first detail after you get the car is the key- a normal detail, but the inspection part is very important to a stored or shipped car. in addition to looking for swirls, you could find paint contamination (minimized or eliminated by car covers) from the ports, or from the ship exhausts. paint contamination is when particles im-bed in the paint. rail dust and other pollutants are the worst. this is checked for by feeling the car with the backs of your fingers, or in a plastic baggie. cure for paint contamination is simple = clay.

just me, but i would put a few coats of synthetic and then a coat of carnauba on the car... and then cover it as above, if possible. they might not let you cover it if they have to drive the car, but its worth asking about.

no matter what, we can cure anything that happens to your paint from the trip, so dont worry about it!!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I would find another shipper if I were you, sending a car in a container is risky enough, but on deck or in the hold just about guarantees a claim against the shipping company.
Remove any valuable/vulnerable pieces from the car prior to delivery, insure the vehicle thoroughly through the shipper, and try to add additional protection to front and rear with painters tape or foam tape.

~Steven
Old 06-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Former Moderator

I don't have a choice on the carrier for this car, it's on a military contract. I'm paying out of pocket for my Pilot to get shipped, so that's going in a container. You can't add any painters tape or put in under a cover. Quite simply, it IS going to be out in the elements.

Wanabe, I usually use the uberthin plastic gloves out of my wife's hair dye kits. I use the pads of my fingers though, I seem to have better luck with that than the back. I fully intend to clay/polish/seal/wax/etc etc when I get the car back. I'm just looking to protect as much as possible while it's enroute. I've got a layer of synthetic and a couple layers of Lusso on top of that right now. Wheels are waxed, top is treated..... I've done everything I can think of.

If you think of anything else, please by all means let me know.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Is there any chance your car can be put in the hold then, it would have more protection than just being on deck?
Put on as many multiple coats of wax to the exterior, door jams and any bright metal including under the hood. Apply several coats of your favorite interior protectant to the interior. Put a cover of some sort over the drivers seat and floor area to protect that area in transport.

I hope this move goes well for you and that your S arrives in great shape.

~Steven
Old 06-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Former Moderator

Chances are it'll be in the hold. I doubt it'll be sitting out on deck. Can't have seat covers or anything else in the car. Hell, you can't even ship it with floor mats.

I guess I've done about all I can do. I think I may hit the engine bay really hard with some engine detailer to try and fight off the elements, but that's about it. Thanks guys.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM

awright- gonna sound strange coming from a wacko...

dont worry about it. you have the best protection on the car that you can have. just plan on dealing with whatever you find when the car lands!!

and let us know how it goes...

Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One question, why not 'swap' your Pilot & S2000?
If you have to pay for one, and it gets into a container, pay for the 'S'. Let the Pilot sit 'exposed'.

You may also want to check with a local marina/boat supply store. They may have products for this type of application.

Good luck with the move.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by RUGBY,Jun 9 2008, 06:47 AM
One question, why not 'swap' your Pilot & S2000?
If you have to pay for one, and it gets into a container, pay for the 'S'. Let the Pilot sit 'exposed'.

You may also want to check with a local marina/boat supply store. They may have products for this type of application.

Good luck with the move.
The S2000 is being shipped all the way to the east coast which is VERY expensive. The Pilot is only going to Seattle and then I'm driving across. The military only pays for one car to ship, so they're paying for the expensive one. If I didn't have a wife and daughter, I'd drive the S2000 across. Of course, if I didn't have a wife and daughter, I wouldn't own a Pilot.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Flite,Jun 9 2008, 08:12 AM
Of course, if I didn't have a wife and daughter, I wouldn't own a Pilot.
ha, ha!!

same here... except for me is an odyssey that i wouldnt have!

Quick Reply: Shipping my Berlina overseas