S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Shin-Etsu Write Up?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shin-Etsu Write Up?

Sorry for the repeated topic, I just want this car done right.

Noticed the leak and the passenger side is a constant drip down the seal onto the door panel and 2 streams down the window if it rains hard. Driver side builds a slow drip where the two seals meet in the middle of the window. Now the seals don't have any cracks or tears and do align properly when they meet. But they do have the window mold imprinted and I can see where the wind pushing the rain. Is the seal originally suppose to be round all the through or have the window shape to it. I already ordered shin-etsu(just waiting for it to arrive) and read you should use a rubber glove and apply small drop through the seal, inside and out. After you clean the seal off from dust using water of course. I'm assuming the seal absorbs the grease and and excess should be wiped off.

How many coats should I apply?
Also do I just apply it with just the windows down or have the soft top down halfway where they are separated?
Whats the waiting time until I can run the windows back up/put the top fully up?
When garaged should I always keep the windows 2 inches down?

Sorry for the repeated topic, I just want this car done right.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really doesn't need a write up. You're overthinking it. You simply apply a little and wipe away the excess.

If you have leaking then Shin Etsu probably isn't going to be a permanent fix and you need to look at getting your seals replaced and properly installed (saying this as someone who has a leaking seal on the driver's side due to some top work).
Old 11-02-2012, 05:05 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have a dedicated rubber prep cleaner use it first, otherwise any non alcohol cleaner to remove dirt/dust will work. After your seals are clean and dry
work the grease into all the inner and outer surfaces of the seals around the door, top and window contact areas. Let it sit for a couple of hours, repeat as necessary and then wipe any excess off. Ideally, you are supposed to repeat the treatment at least once a year depending on outside exposure and use.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's my DD and will be for this winter. No work has been done to the top. So I'm thinking the seals haven't been tampered with. I'll give it a try once it arrives and hope for the best.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've given up with the Shin-Etsu grease. I hate the grease marks it leaves on the windows. I clean the seals with Megs' M40. As far as I can determine, the only purpose for the grease is to prevent the seals from sticking to each other. The M40 seems to work just fine for this purpose.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by akimel
I've given up with the Shin-Etsu grease. I hate the grease marks it leaves on the windows. I clean the seals with Megs' M40. As far as I can determine, the only purpose for the grease is to prevent the seals from sticking to each other. The M40 seems to work just fine for this purpose.
I don't know if that is the solution to window leaks, but Shin-Etsu grease is designed to "plump" rubber seals and keep them flexible to avoid cracking. Not sure if it is enough plumping to reduce or cure a leak but I swear by the product on the hardtop and windshield seals. I hear you on the window smears but that goes with the territory when using products on the seals. I try to rub it in as much as possible and then clear the excess but it will definitely smear the windows.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by akimel
I have been using einszett Gummi Pfledge with really good results, both on the convertible top seals as well as the door seals. A couple of applications within a week of each other did the trick. The local dealership was out of Shin-Etsu and I didn't feel like paying a ton of shipping for a small product, so I picked it up on Amazon.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent seen a responce on how to apply the stuff. I have a brand new tube, but never used it ? would also like to know the best way to apply it.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 AM

Again, rub on, wipe excess off (after the seals have been cleaned, as mentioned above). There's really nothing to it.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

The best way to apply it is with your fingers. If you want to avoid the mess wear rubber gloves.

Quick Reply: Shin-Etsu Write Up?