S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Shin-Etsu Grease

Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Shin-Etsu Grease

SO....
Shin-etsu grease is a topic that is brought up on and off....so, as winter rolls around, I figured I would pick up a bottle and use some before I put the car away for the winter..

.....but where specifically?

Any help would be great.. .thanks!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything that's "rubber" on the car. Surrounding of the windshield, door jams, trunk lining, side of the convertible (where the window meets). Basically anything "rubber".

Put a latex/dispossable glove on and squeeze the grease onto your gloves, then start massaging any "rubber" parts on the car. Be sure to let it soak in for a few hours then wipe off any extras.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Shin-Etsu also works well on door latches and hood/trunk latches. I believe the owners manual details where to use the grease.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Owners manual...

I forgot where I put that..

I wasn't sure if there would be any concern of the grease on the window seals getting in contact with window tint.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as mentioned above, rub it in really well and let the excess sit on the rubber- you want the rubber "plumped up"- wipe it off really well to keep it from getting on contact points.
i do not know how it reacts with tint, but i would keep it off of glass faces.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Gotcha... so I want to leave it on the rubber or wipe it off?

I am storing the car with the windows slightly lowered so it won't be in contact with the window till spring.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Leave it on for a couple of hours, then wipe the excess off.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is debated, as some folks like to buff off the grease after a period of time (some say hours, others days)

i let the stuff sit forever. no buffing off for me - just wait another 6-8 months and reapply. i also don't use gloves. just wash my hands after

g/l with your storage - it's getting cold in the midwest real quick!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave on for 10mins to a few hours based on my time table. I'll wipe on with my fingers and wipe excess off with a paper towel. No issues with Llumar metallic tint. It'll smear a little, but a little Plexus / Invisible Glass clears things right back up. Repeat every 6 months.

On the topic of rubber components and silicone, one thing to not neglect is all the rubber underneath the car that never gets loving. Road Rage wrote up a How-To for Chassis Lubrication (basically cleaning rubber boots underneath the car and spraying silicone on em).
Old 11-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s98d7fs,Nov 11 2008, 05:45 PM
I leave on for 10mins to a few hours based on my time table. I'll wipe on with my fingers and wipe excess off with a paper towel. No issues with Llumar metallic tint. It'll smear a little, but a little Plexus / Invisible Glass clears things right back up. Repeat every 6 months.

On the topic of rubber components and silicone, one thing to not neglect is all the rubber underneath the car that never gets loving. Road Rage wrote up a How-To for Chassis Lubrication (basically cleaning rubber boots underneath the car and spraying silicone on em).
great suggestion about the underside...

as to papertowels, i prefer mfs or any cloth- as i learned as a young apprentice wanabe, paper is made from trees and trees can scratch (or swirl) painted surfaces- might be o.k. on nonpainted surfaces, but imo its a bit too scratchy. so i admit that this is an opinion, but mine is to prefer cloth over paper--

Quick Reply: Shin-Etsu Grease