S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

SHIELD

Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EOE,Aug 6 2009, 11:21 AM
BAhahaha

I just thought of what to use it for. I will scare my friends thinking its primer on their paint by spraying their car down. Then they will flip. Then I will tell them they can wash it off.

"Let me fix that for you PSHHH PSHHHH"

"NOOOO"
haha was thinking of doing that too

does anyone know if this stuff strips wax? if it doesn't this could be pretty good for daily use too, especially since it's summer with all the little bugs flying around. could also make a good product in the rainy season?

anyone know?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dezymond,Aug 7 2009, 02:18 PM
haha was thinking of doing that too

does anyone know if this stuff strips wax? if it doesn't this could be pretty good for daily use too, especially since it's summer with all the little bugs flying around. could also make a good product in the rainy season?

anyone know?
I don't know yet, but hopefully, I will soon. I ordered two cans of it at O'Reilly; it gets here next week.

EDIT: even if it does strip wax, I'll be using this stuff in small areas, like the back of the rocker panels and the front bumper. It won't take but a few minutes to re-wax those areas if I need to.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=krshultz,Aug 7 2009, 08:50 PM] I don't know yet, but hopefully, I will soon.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by dezymond,Aug 7 2009, 10:40 PM
please update about it, Krshultz.
Ask, and ye shall receive...

The bad news
For autocross purposes, Shield is mostly a waste of time. The first impact with a cone at speed rubs the stuff right off in a triangular pattern to match the cone that was struck. I suppose it's a useful sacrificial barrier the first time a cone is hit, but after that, you're back to bare paint in that spot.

I also tried it on the rockers below the doors, towards the back fender. Same result. First cone that gets hit takes this stuff right off. Much worse, however, is how Shield gets all over your leg when getting in and out of the car. It really made a mess of my lower legs, as well as those of my codrivers. By the middle of the first day, I removed it from the rockers completely.

(I know, I know..."don't hit so many cones." It was a test day to prep for Nationals, and there are three of us driving my car. Hitting cones is somewhat inevitable)

The good news
It probably helps on a road trip, it almost has to. The nose of the car was unscathed when I got to the event site. Could be coincidence, but I think this stuff almost has to serve at least some useful purpose as a sacrificial barrier. Obviously, if a medium to large stone hits your front end, it'll punch through this stuff and damage the surface underneath. It's certainly not the kind of protection a proper clear bra provides, but it only costs $10/can.

It is pretty rain resistant. It wasn't a downpour, but we did get some rain at the event this past weekend, and the Shield stayed exactly as it was. (Well, except for the cone marks)

Cleanup is straightforward. It washes off with soap and water. Some pressure is required to get it completely off; it doesn't just wipe away with zero effort. Note also that Shield will badly blacken your wash bucket. If you're looking to remove Shield as the first part of a wash, I recommend changing your wash water immediately after removing Shield. Better safe than sorry.

I bought the black (there is also a clear version) so I could easily see any overspray, and to aid in cleanup after trying it. It was funny looking, but at least I wasn't left to guess if I'd really cleaned it all off.

The underlying wax layer seems to be unaffected. Water still beads up like it did before, and the surface is still super smooth as normal.

Cliff's Notes
Not useful for autocross. Pretty good for a road trip. Tends to smear if you rub against it with your legs. Removal is easy enough. Appears to leave the underlying wax layer intact.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by krshultz,Aug 19 2009, 06:57 PM
Ask, and ye shall receive...

The bad news
For autocross purposes, Shield is mostly a waste of time. The first impact with a cone at speed rubs the stuff right off in a triangular pattern to match the cone that was struck. I suppose it's a useful sacrificial barrier the first time a cone is hit, but after that, you're back to bare paint in that spot.

I also tried it on the rockers below the doors, towards the back fender. Same result. First cone that gets hit takes this stuff right off. Much worse, however, is how Shield gets all over your leg when getting in and out of the car. It really made a mess of my lower legs, as well as those of my codrivers. By the middle of the first day, I removed it from the rockers completely.

(I know, I know..."don't hit so many cones." It was a test day to prep for Nationals, and there are three of us driving my car. Hitting cones is somewhat inevitable)

The good news
It probably helps on a road trip, it almost has to. The nose of the car was unscathed when I got to the event site. Could be coincidence, but I think this stuff almost has to serve at least some useful purpose as a sacrificial barrier. Obviously, if a medium to large stone hits your front end, it'll punch through this stuff and damage the surface underneath. It's certainly not the kind of protection a proper clear bra provides, but it only costs $10/can.

It is pretty rain resistant. It wasn't a downpour, but we did get some rain at the event this past weekend, and the Shield stayed exactly as it was. (Well, except for the cone marks)

Cleanup is straightforward. It washes off with soap and water. Some pressure is required to get it completely off; it doesn't just wipe away with zero effort. Note also that Shield will badly blacken your wash bucket. If you're looking to remove Shield as the first part of a wash, I recommend changing your wash water immediately after removing Shield. Better safe than sorry.

I bought the black (there is also a clear version) so I could easily see any overspray, and to aid in cleanup after trying it. It was funny looking, but at least I wasn't left to guess if I'd really cleaned it all off.

The underlying wax layer seems to be unaffected. Water still beads up like it did before, and the surface is still super smooth as normal.

Cliff's Notes
Not useful for autocross. Pretty good for a road trip. Tends to smear if you rub against it with your legs. Removal is easy enough. Appears to leave the underlying wax layer intact.
Thank you, Krshultz.

Seems like this stuff really works, except against orange cones which I'm not worried about since I don't track my car. I was just wondering if this would serve well as another layer on top of wax and it sounds like it does. Is there a recommendation as to how long to let this stuff sit on your car? I'm thinking about spraying down the car in the clear Shield during the rainy season. It also seems to me like this would make our rims, ap2 owners especially, easier to clean.

Easy to apply and easy to remove. Puts on another layer of protection to our cars, and only $10 a can, seems like a good deal to me. I'll definitely check this out next time I'm at a store that carries it.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by dezymond,Aug 20 2009, 04:44 PM
Thank you, Krshultz.

Seems like this stuff really works, except against orange cones which I'm not worried about since I don't track my car. I was just wondering if this would serve well as another layer on top of wax and it sounds like it does. Is there a recommendation as to how long to let this stuff sit on your car? I'm thinking about spraying down the car in the clear Shield during the rainy season. It also seems to me like this would make our rims, ap2 owners especially, easier to clean.

Easy to apply and easy to remove. Puts on another layer of protection to our cars, and only $10 a can, seems like a good deal to me. I'll definitely check this out next time I'm at a store that carries it.
The back of the can says "Removal of product is recommended within 3 days." I slipped up and removed mine after four days, and it still came off easily enough, but I wouldn't go much past that.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by krshultz,Aug 20 2009, 05:30 PM
The back of the can says "Removal of product is recommended within 3 days." I slipped up and removed mine after four days, and it still came off easily enough, but I wouldn't go much past that.
Had a feeling it shouldn't be on too long....

Well thanks again for the info, Krshultz. Really appreciate it thought it would be kind of like spray on clear bra, but too good to be true. However sounds worth it on roadtrips. Would you say it's easier to apply than tape?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by dezymond,Aug 20 2009, 06:15 PM
Had a feeling it shouldn't be on too long....

Well thanks again for the info, Krshultz. Really appreciate it thought it would be kind of like spray on clear bra, but too good to be true. However sounds worth it on roadtrips. Would you say it's easier to apply than tape?
To make it look like the example photo above, you'll need to mask the car off with tape, so you'll be doing some taping anyway. I've never taped off an entire front end, but at the very least, I should think that applying Shield is much less tedious.

Besides - tape can get expensive. The stuff I use for detailing is about $4/roll. Again, I've never taped off an entire front end before, but I have to imagine that doing so requires a LOT of tape.

Shield is also useful for playing tricks on your friends. At the autocross last weekend, I quietly walked over to my S2000 (which I'm famous for being totally obsessed with) and started spray painting it all over. People thought I'd lost my marbles.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 AM

wow i am hella surprised that they make something like this.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

With respect to using it to repel bugs, if your front end has a good
detailing and wax on it, 99% of the bugs wash off with mild pressure
from your washing mitt.