S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Self Serice Car Wash

Old 08-02-2014, 03:24 PM
HCN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Serice Car Wash

I live in an apartment and washing my car is a pain so my main option is to go to a self serve car wash

I know that the brushes there will leave swirl mark but they have this high pressure wash and high pressure soap option

my steps are:

prerinse soltuion

high pressure wash

high pressure soap

high pressure wash

Is this good enough to clean the car adequately? I don't use the brush so it becomes a "touchless" car wash.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Gatsbee13

I use self service car washes weekly on my S.. Just cause I'm too lazy to hand wash it.. But my car is vinyl wrapped.

Here's my process:

1) spotless water prewash entire car

2) high pressure soap

3) spotless water rinse

4) take car on freeway for drying

Works pretty well for me.. And only takes about 5-10 minutes for wash process and another 5-10 for drying.

I'll give the car a hand wash about once every 1 1/2 to 2 months.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:14 PM
HCN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh,

I dry my car off with a microfiber towel

hopefully the high pressure wash is good enough so they when i dry with a towel, it won't scratch
Old 08-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The products used by the "touchless" car washes can be hard on your wax; destruction of that protective layer can be hard on your paint.

You should research the "rinseless wash" products. "Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine" is probably the best known; their "No Rinse Wash and Wax" is a newer product that also works well. There are similar products from several other manufacturers.

When I owned my S2000, it would get washed with the hose about twice a year to remove stuff caught in the body gaps. Every other wash was with ONR. If your car is really filthy, I'd recommend hosing it off at the "self-service car wash", driving home, and washing it with ONR. Two gallons of water in a bucket, one ounce of ONR, a mitt to wash, and a towel or two to dry it. You drip some water on the ground, but most of the two gallons of water you started with is still in the bucket when you're done.

I understand that this is anathema to the conventional wisdom about washing a car; I must admit that I was skeptical at first, but it does work. I would recommend you view some information on the net from username "Scottwax." He runs a detailing business in Dallas/Ft. Worth and uses ONR almost exclusively; he is, IMHO, a credible source of information on the subject.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the MF towel(s) clean and clear of any dirt when drying? If so, its safe to say your method worked out for you.

I also agree that the products used are also pretty hard on your wax/sealant/layer of protection. Go through enough of those washes and it'll be hard on your paint if you don't apply more sealant/wax.

Consider the possible idea that the products may not be made specifically for light driven cars, or cars that see very little use. Rather, they're to clean all sorts of garbage, dirt, debris. Meaning, the soap may be way too harsh for the amount of use your car sees.

A simple solution would be to use a two/three bucket system and put on a good layer of sealant (or two). Depending how dirty/dusty the car is you could potentially just get a bottle of quick detailer, some good mf towels, and wipe the car down that way. If its a little dirtier, a simple rinse is all you need with a good drying session and another layer of sealant. Cleaning becomes easier and your paint stays nearly perfect.

...atleast that's what I do.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 PM

With ONR, it's unusual to see anything on the drying towel; however, it is indeed possible to miss a spot when washing and pick the dirt up when drying.

When washing with ONR, you work one panel at a time. I always overlap onto the surrounding unwashed panels to ensure that if the drying towel crosses the line, it still hits clean paint.

Google the "Gary Dean method." His idea is to put about a dozen microfiber towels (16" x 16") into the bucket of rinseless wash solution (he has his own product line, but the technique should work with any competitor's product). Use a towel to wash a panel, then relegate it to the laundry bin, dry that panel, and pull a new towel from the bucket for the next panel. It's overkill, IMHO, but it certainly limits contact between your paint and a dirty wash medium.

I know that it's hard to accept that the rinseless washes are safe, but I've grudgingly become convinced that they are. They are God's gift to car enthusiasts who live in apartments or places with water restrictions. If the car is filthy, hose off the worst of the crud at one of those self-serve spray wand places, drive home, then give it a rinseless wash.

FYI: I own two five-gallon buckets with Grit Guards; a two-gallon bucket for wheels/tires/wheel wells; several wash mitts including a lamb's wool one from Detailers Domain. I use these from time to time; other times I use ONR because it is convenient, and won't put me in violation of any summer drought water use restrictions. I can even wash in the garage with the door closed. ONR is not the be-all, end-all of wash products but IMHO it does have its uses.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:14 PM

I need to qualify something about my earlier posts: there are a number of "rinseless wash" products on the market. I have only used Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine, abbreviated ONR. I have been happy with this product, but since I have no experience with any of the competitors' rinseless wash products, I don't mean to imply that they are in any way inferior, only that I have not used them.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
I need to qualify something about my earlier posts: there are a number of "rinseless wash" products on the market. I have only used Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine, abbreviated ONR. I have been happy with this product, but since I have no experience with any of the competitors' rinseless wash products, I don't mean to imply that they are in any way inferior, only that I have not used them.
ONR is my preference if I can't hand wash. I never use self service car washes. Poorboys spray and wipe works well for vehicles that are not too dirty. Spray on, wipe off excess and buff with a clean towel
Old 10-16-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just take my own items to wash my car.

FYI, high pressure washers can damage paint, so don't stick it 2inches away from the paint trying to get the bug splatters out.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

^^^Yes it can!

I actually had a high pressure rinse start to take the paint off of the inside lip of the rear fender so be careful!

Also it has been my experience that washing the car just trying to use the pressure from the gun does not clean
the car completely. I have tried that and run my finger over the paint and you can see there is a "film" left over
particularly on a really dirty car.

Quick Reply: Self Serice Car Wash