S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Scary paint chip repair

Old 05-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow! I have read this thread end to end AGAIN and even more it makes me want to go out and practice on the wife's car. . .

Hope this works or I am dead.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2KBobby,May 1 2010, 02:35 PM
Wow! I have read this thread end to end AGAIN and even more it makes me want to go out and practice on the wife's car. . .

Hope this works or I am dead.
She will probably reward you for your hard work...hint hint

Really this process is just time intensive...it is relatively easy to get GREAT results

Old 05-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Arcoril,Apr 14 2010, 02:23 PM
Great thread!

I tried the clay bar technique last night and it did a great job of leveling the paint. Much easier than sanding.

However, I've got an issue with the touch up paint itself.

I performed this on a 2006 New Formula Red S2000 using the factory touch up paint (code R-510), but the touched up areas are significantly darker than the original paint. The OP mentioned that the touch up paint ended up being slightly darker, but it is quite noticeable on my repair. Does the NFR factory touch up paint lighten as it cures?
As time goes by you won't notice the difference because the NEW paint chips will get your attention It is a never ending process but really keeps your S looking awesome.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOOKS INCREDIBLE!
if you are ever in south florida let me know haha
+1
Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM

FYI there is now a 'sanding pen' for paint chips (bought but have not yet used) that looks great. I have chips galore, road film that won't come off and 'sandy' texture in a lot of places. Will this come off with the pc? What grit do I use?
Thanks,
Lori
Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by GISUHO
FYI there is now a 'sanding pen' for paint chips (bought but have not yet used) that looks great. I have chips galore, road film that won't come off and 'sandy' texture in a lot of places. Will this come off with the pc? What grit do I use?
Thanks,
Lori

I would think a sanding pen would leave low spots on the paint blob similar to using my sandpaper wrapped thumb...I made an observation on why a block leaves a better finish somewhere in the thread.

The thread is kinda long, but near the end I found that using clay bar to level a semi dry paint blob works better and is easier on the mind.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool!! I will be trying this soon. I've got so many chips
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM

I had some aholes hit my car with their doors so bad that it took paint off my drivers side door and rear fender. I completely forgot to take a picture but imagine a black car that looks like there is a string of bubble gum on the side of the car, except its the grey under the paint showing. It serisously looks like I had paint chipping off. Anyways I am almost done with filling in the "hole" with touch up paint. I should be able to wet sand & polish this week sometime. I will need to polish and wax the whole car too in hopes I can remove the swirl marks and help get rid of the awesome burn through marks on the hood. Who ever detailed my car last (before I bought it) needs a swift kick to the nuts.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by thetz99
Originally Posted by GISUHO' timestamp='1314813156' post='20931495
Thanks,
Lori

I would think a sanding pen would leave low spots on the paint blob similar to using my sandpaper wrapped thumb...I made an observation on why a block leaves a better finish somewhere in the thread.

The thread is kinda long, but near the end I found that using clay bar to level a semi dry paint blob works better and is easier on the mind.

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind. Actually, the pen is a 'prep pen' it's made of minute glass fibres. Cool huh? Will the buffer smooth out the blobs?
Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
I had some aholes hit my car with their doors so bad that it took paint off my drivers side door and rear fender. I completely forgot to take a picture but imagine a black car that looks like there is a string of bubble gum on the side of the car, except its the grey under the paint showing. It serisously looks like I had paint chipping off. Anyways I am almost done with filling in the "hole" with touch up paint. I should be able to wet sand & polish this week sometime. I will need to polish and wax the whole car too in hopes I can remove the swirl marks and help get rid of the awesome burn through marks on the hood. Who ever detailed my car last (before I bought it) needs a swift kick to the nuts.
LOL LOL I feel your pain! The previous owner of my car never met a curb he didn;t hit, and wore out the clutch in 36,mi!! This car chips if you look at it sideways. I've had better paint jobs from Maaco!
Good luck to both of us!
Lori

Quick Reply: Scary paint chip repair